Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD cards aren't read anymore when I insert them.

• Please log in to reply

Lee43

Lee43

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My system is a Gateway emachine T5048 with Windows XP Media Center Edition (version 2002) with Service Pack 3.

Whenever I inserted an SD card into the front slot on my computer, the automatic Windows Wizard would popup and prompt me on what I wanted to do with the pictures but that doesn't happen anymore.

Could somebody please help me get my computer to recognize SD cards again?

This happened one other time o/a 6 months ago. To resolve it, I removed a strange program called "Downloader" (version 1.0) I found in the Add/Remove Programs in
the Control Panel. I have no idea how that program got installed but once I removed it, things went back to normal. This time however, that program wasn't found to be installed so it must be something else causing the problem.

Please help me get my computer back to normal.

Thank you!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi Lee43 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Are you able to use windows explorer and open the SD card that way?

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi 123Runner, Thank you for your reply and welcoming me..this site is awesome!

I am able to go to My Computer, then access my SD card (Drive G), then copy & paste from the card to my drive but honestly, that's become quite the time-consuming chore because when I want to add pictures to the same folder on my drive from a different SD card, like family pics for example, there's no "order" to them...it's just a bunch of pics named IMG_5415, IMG_5416, etc.

I would love it if I could get the Windows Wizard to work again so I could get all my pics (and videos) organized again.

Any suggestions on what I could do? I'd be most grateful for your helping me.

Thanx a bunch! :)

P.S. I love your "banging head against keyboard" avatar..it's what I feel like doing right now!

Edited by Lee43, 10 January 2010 - 11:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

"Downloader" (version 1.0)

It is a software that allows to download the video from YouTube and to convert them in other form to you.

I'm researching the other problem for you.

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

It is a software that allows to download the video from YouTube and to convert them in other form to you.

Hi rshaffer61, thank you for your reply.

That makes sense since around the time it happened that last time about six months ago, I did install some program and was downloading videos from youtube for only about two weeks but I uninstalled that program then my system went back to normal and the Windows Wizard showed up again when I put an SD card in the slot.

Whatever is causing the problem this time is something entirely different tho.

I'm researching the other problem for you.

I'm wide open to any and all suggestions...I'll try anything to fix this problem.

I just went to Add or Remove Programs, maximized the screen, then took four pictures (each pic is a page worth). Those pics show every program installed on my computer. It's like if you were looking at my monitor viewing my installed programs.

Could you please take a look at the pictures to see if you think I might have some unwanted program installed that could be causing my problem?

Pic #1: http://img37.imagesh...06/img6597c.jpg
Pic #2: http://img96.imagesh...024/img6598.jpg
Pic #3: http://img62.imagesh...788/img6599.jpg
Pic #4: http://img62.imagesh...867/img6600.jpg

One possible thing I think might be causing this is maybe the "Windows Live Upload Tool" (seen in Pic #4). I think it was somewhere around the same time I installed a Microsoft webcam that this problem started...but I'm not exactly sure.

I certainly do appreciate your time and effort to help me out. :)

Thanx again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your Java is out of date and that opens you up to security risks.
Did you install that Wild Tangent?
It has been known to cause infections.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 09:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I want to take a look at you Autoruns please.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Your Java is out of date and that opens you up to security risks.
Did you install that Wild Tangent?
It has been known to cause infections.

I'm glad you told me about the Wild Tangent. I don't recall installing that..it must have installed behind the scenes from something else. I just researched it and found out (at: http://www.answerbag...q_view/1864536) that it's an obsolete program that causes vulnerabilities. I never play online games anyway which is what it's supposed to be for. I'm going to remove that program right away.

I'm also going to d/l JavaRa from your link, remove the older versions, then run it again to update to the most recent version. I could've sworn though that Java automatically told me when an update was available so I'd know and take care of it.

Gonna take care of these things first then I'll do the Autoruns thing right afterwards.

Thank you! :)

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Here's an update on where I'm at so far. I've removed the Wild Tangent. I got the latest Java (v6.0.170) installed. I rebooted, then inserted an SD card in the slot to see if the Wizard came up..but it didn't so the issue is still there.

I'm now getting ready to d/l and do the Autoruns thing per your instructions and will save and attach the AutoRuns.txt file in my next reply for you to look at.

Be back soon...

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I want to take a look at you Autoruns please.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

I did exactly as you said and deleted all entries that said "file not found" and I did it for "Owner" and "Administrator" (for which I'm both) and then saved the AutoRuns.txt file and attached it for you to look at.

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   123.32KB   221 downloads

Thanx for you help...I am so grateful!! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I got the latest Java (v6.0.170) installed

Actually the new one was just released v6.0.180

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

"Adobe ARM"
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
"QuickTime Task"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Lee43

Sorry I haven't got back to you, but I have been buried in work for end of 2009 and starting 2010.

I believe you are looking for what is called "auto play". Meaning you get a pop up asking you what program you want to use to look at the files (play them, open folder, etc)

Try this.

Place the SD card in the reader. Go to "my computer" and right click on the SD drive...Choose properties...Click on the "autoplay tab". On that tab, you can choose a "content type" and then an "action".

I do not know what you are exactly looking for.

123runner

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

"Adobe ARM"
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
"QuickTime Task"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"

Sorry for the delayed response, it was my birthday yesterday & became a bit preoccupied with events related..:)

Here's where I'm at. I un-checked all four items in Autoruns. I also manually disabled cftmon.exe then rebooted.

I need to ask though, since SunJavaUpdateSched (jusched.exe) was disabled, does that mean I need to do an occasional manual check to see if a Java update is available? If so, about how often?

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

I d/l'd and ran TFC.exe and after the reboot, I cleaned out my Windows/Prefetch folder and also deleted my browsing history (cookies, and everything).

I then d/l'd the Auslogics Defrag program, ran it and once rebooted, I put an SD card in the slot but unfortunately, the wizard didn't come up. :)

Not sure if it helps to know this but every time I put an SD card in the slot, I see the yellow (hard drive) light (just below the power button) light up for a couple seconds, and hear the drive "churning" (for lack of better terms) as if it wants to do something. It does the same thing when I pull the card out too.

Could maybe some settings be changed via services.msc or msconfig? Does Smart Card have anything to do with SD cards? I have it disabled in msconfig.

Thank you for all your help. I can't express how much I appreciate it.

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I believe you are looking for what is called "auto play". Meaning you get a pop up asking you what program you want to use to look at the files (play them, open folder, etc)

Try this.

Place the SD card in the reader. Go to "my computer" and right click on the SD drive...Choose properties...Click on the "autoplay tab". On that tab, you can choose a "content type" and then an "action".

Hi 123 Runner, I did exactly as you said but that wont work either. In the top list, it just keeps reverting back to Music files after I'd changed it to Pictures.

Any more suggestions, I'll try anything to get it to work normally again.

Thanx a bunch for you time and trouble. :)

Lee43

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Does Smart Card have anything to do with SD cards. I have it disabled in msconfig.

Worth a try to enable this in msconfig startup.