Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD cards aren't read anymore when I insert them.

• Please log in to reply

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Worth a try to enable this in msconfig startup.

I re-enabled it but it didn't fix the problem. I didn't think it'd work since I disabled the smart card long before this issue started..but it was worth a shot anyway. What else could I possibly do?

Thanx!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm still searching but i wanted to ask does the card work in another system?

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello All,

I think will help to better understand what might have caused my dilemma to provide me the help I need to resolve this issue. It's not easy to explain but I'll try my best. Please bear with me on this. Thanx. So, here goes.

I was given an old Gateway Pentium 3 computer for parts or whatever. I just figured I could use the hard drive for some extra storage space. So at home, I took it out, changed the jumper pin setting to cable select and installed it(as a secondary internal drive) and just wiped the drive clean. I discovered it was only a 4Gb drive which is about as pointless as a floppy disk so I took it out of my system a few days later.

But, the thing is tho, when I had the drive in, my computer reassigned all new drive letters for each drive and SD card slots, and when I took the drive out, my computer stayed that way and so the drive letter "assignment" never went back to it's original state.

The drive slot that I always put my SD cards in used to be known as F: drive and after I put that 4Gb drive in, it became the G: drive and despite my removing that 4Gb drive, my F: drive stays as G: drive. Also, I have two external usb drives. J: drive became K: drive and K: drive became L: drive after putting that 4Gb drive in. Those reassigned drive letters never went back to normal to the way they used to be after I took that old drive out. And I honestly believe that might have something if not everything to do with my SD card not being recognized anymore.

So, now that I've said all that..(sorry for my rambling)...is there a way for me to "reset" my computer so that it'll go back to the way it was before I put that old drive in? I suspect that it could be the reason since it was about the same time when I did that was when my SD card issue started.

I took a pic of "My Computer" screen so show the different changes:
http://img64.imagesh...93/img6701e.jpg

Please, please, please take a look at the pic and help me get my computer back to normal. Thanx a bunch everyone!!!

Lee43

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its worth a shot to re-assign them, but I am not sure that is the answer.

I believe that setting bios to default will re-assign all back to normal. If that does not work we can go into computer management and manually assign them.

There are a couple ways to reset bios.
1. Depending on the computer, there may/ maynot be a jumper by the battery on the board. The battery is round like a watch battery. Change the jumper to the other setting. (This is done when power is off and unplugged).
2. In bios setup, usually in advanced settings there is a spot to "load bios defaults". Make that change, save and exit, then reboot.
To enter bios...Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F1 or F2 or Esc or F10 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
3. With power off and unplugged. Remove the battery from its holder for about 10 minutes. Re-install and then re-boot.

If the letters do not automatically re-assign, the we can manually set them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TweakUI for XP might be a possibility there 123Runner
It can do some assigning I believe.
Download TweakUiXp from the link in my signature below

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Lee43

Lee43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Great News!! My computer is back to normal and my SD card issue is officially resolved!!! :) The AutoPlay window pops up again when I insert an SD card into the slot. I still don't know what caused it but it's fixed and that's what counts! (Whoo-Hoo!!)

What I did was: I installed the Tweak UI program to try and re-assign the drive letters (I first tried the "load bios defaults" in cmos to no avail) but when I saw in the Tweak UI menu, My Computer -> AutoPlay -> Types, the box for "Enable AutoPlay for removable drives" was un-checked, I had a gut feeling that if I checked the box, it would fix my issue. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about: http://img109.images...isc11710021.jpg

So sure enough, I checked the box, clicked Apply then OK, closed the program, and rebooted. And when I put an SD card in the slot, AutoPlay popped up and I nearly jumped out of my chair from excitement!!

Thank you so incredibly much 123Runner and rshaffer61 for all your time and effort to help me!! You guys are the best!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed 123Runner and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience. I'm glad that the TweakUIXP was the right suggestion for you.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered.
Go HERE to make a donation.