Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

[Help!]I need to know what my options are

• Please log in to reply

sparklez

sparklez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I'm not really "new" to upgrading or installing etc, I'm just confused atm with two things.

1.)My system(HP a6230n) had a 1GB nvidia geforce 8500 in it and blew out of the blue a year later....I'm finally going to replace it but need to know what is the best graphics card out there is right now that my system can support?

I've heard amd 64x mobo's should be paired with ATI graphics cards - is this true?

Can a computer like mine that *says* it takes DDR2 PC memory take a DDR5 Graphics card memory? this is puzzeling...

2.)Can I get a 8GB stick or do I need x2 4GB sticks from the same mfg?

P.S I have a HD monitor and would like the graphics card to be HD.D:

P.P.S it's only got a 300W PSU, I'll probably need another one>.> right?
Operating system installed
	Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor
	AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+
• 2.80 GHz, 1MB+1MB L2 Cache, 2000 MHz System Bus
Chipset
	NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset
Standard memory
	3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB 2x512MB) (expandable to 8GB)
Memory type
	DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
	4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)

nternal hard disk drive
	400 GB
Hard disk controller
	SATA
Hard disk drive speed
	(7200 rpm)
Optical drive type
	SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Optical drive speed
	16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM

Memory card device
	15in1 memory card reader
Modem
	56k modem
Network interface
	Integrated 10/100BaseT network interface
Video adapter
	NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Video RAM
	128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Internal audio
	High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Audio connectors
	Microphone/Line-in/Line-out (FRONT and back) Digital Audio-out Rear speaker-out/Side speaker-out/Center (subwoofer)
Keyboard
	HP multimedia keyboard
External drive bays
	2 external 5.25"(one available) 1 external 3.5" (occupied) 2 internal 3.5" (one available)
External I/O ports
	6 USB 2.0 port(s) (2 FRONT, 4 back) 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s) (1 FRONT, 1 back) 2 PS/2 LAN VGA-out (back)
Expansion slots
	2 PCI slots (1 available) 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available) 1 PCI-E x1 slot (available)

Included/Pre-installed software
	Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0; Windows Mail; Adobe® Reader 8.0
Software included
	Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2007 (60 days live update)

Weight
	9.60 kg
Package weight
	14 kg
Dimensions (w x d x h)
	175 x 414 x 387 mm
Package dimensions (W x D x H)
	245 x 599 x 498 mm
Warranty Statement
	Service Options: - Hardware: One year parts and labor from date of purchase - Software: 90 day technical toll-free phone assistance - Service Delivery: Customer Replaceable Parts; Return to hp for repair; Authorized Service Provider. For information, visit www.hp.ca/support

Edited by sparklez, 08 January 2010 - 04:40 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Any card you get today should be compatible with the system. The more powerful cards may require you to replace the power supply as well since these machines only tend to come with cheap, typically Bestec branded, power supplies.

As to "amd 64x mobo's should be paired with ATI graphics" - not true. Makes no difference whether Nvidia or ATI. GDDR5 is the memory on the graphics card and is irrelevant to the rest of the memory in the machine.

2) Your machine has four memory slots so to go to 8Gb of memory you would need 4 2Gb sticks and a 64-bit operating system if you don't have one already.

3) This question cannot be found. Please check and try again.