Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would like to upgrade my RAM advice needed.

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I am about to change my PC case and have decided to upgrade some of my PC components as I would eventually like to overclock my system further into the future.After reading the overclocking guide in the forum it says upgrading your ram can save some hassle.my current RAM is DDR2 2x2GB,the only thing I know about it is that it's by NANYA Technology max bandwith is PC2-6400 (400mhz)and DRAM frequency is 400.1MHZ according to CPU-Z.Can anyone recommend better RAM that will be compatible with my MOBO which is an ASUS P5N-MX.I read somewhere about someone who purchased RAM for this MOBO and his system was unstable due to the MOBO not putting out enough voltage to the RAM he purchased and this is why I decided to get some advice as to which RAM to get.I really only want to spend £100 at the max,any advice is welcomed!

Edited by mrpooh3, 08 January 2010 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I am reading this right you have 4 gigs of memory now total correct?

my current RAM is DDR2 2x2GB,

What OS are you using?
32bit or 64bit?

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
hi rshaffer61,I am not sure,I think it is 32bit,it is xp home edition.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then if it is a 32 bit OS will not utilize more then 3.5 gigs of memory.
To check this to make sure do the following.
Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel
1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
Note Year is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View System Information window
  • 1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type winmsd.exe and then click OK.
    3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the Value.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

As far as your motherboard capability this is from
NewEgg....Memory Standard DDR2 800(O.C.)/667/533
Crucial Memory Advisor

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
hi rshaffer61,it just says xp home edition version 2002 sp3.Thanks for the link,is the current RAM I have though not a similar speed?is it worth replacing my current RAM do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IMHO overclocking is not something I suggest. It can and normally will shorten the life span of cpu and memory since it is running faster which means more heat. Heat is the number one killer of components.
The faster speed of the memory will be minimal in what you will see to be honest without overclocking.
The result of the steps above show em that you are running a 32 bit OS so anything more then 4 gigs installed in all honesty is worthless.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Thanks Rshaffer61! I am not going to bother installing more RAM,I have decided not to OC either and just get a better PC next year and give my old one away when done with it.Thanks for taking the time to help out though,your advice is appreciated!regards,MrPooh3

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and Thank you for allowing me to assist you and for your patience.
When you are ready to buy a new system we have a forum specifically for building your own system.
I would suggest going this direction because it does give you a feeling of great satisfaction when building your own system.
But more important you will know every piece of hardware that goes into your system and how it goes together. This will make it easier when you want to upgrade your system later.
We also have a great tutorial with step by step instructions and pictures to help you build your own system that was created by one of our own Tech Staff people.