Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Went Bang

• Please log in to reply

Ross M

Ross M

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First post on this forum, and unfortunately not a happy one.

I've got an Advent computer, 650W PSU, AMD Phenom Quad Core 9550 Processor 2.20GHz, I'm not sure what other information is needed so if you need any more, please ask!

I installed a Radeon HD 4670 1GB graphics card, but failed to realise that a cable tie inside the computer was fouling the fan, preventing it from turning. I began to smell a slight burning smell, and opened the computer up, and saw that the fan on the graphics card wasn't turning, I switched it off and solved this problem. However, after this I could still smell burning.

So I took my computer to a repair shop to see what they thought was wrong. They advised me to try to get a replacement graphics card and said that my PSU wasn't suitable for the new card. So they offered to install a 650W PSU. It was a reasonable price so I took them up on it. I brought the computer home, removed the graphics card and put it in its box for going back, I then closed the box, connected the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I plugged the computer in. I then switched the computer on, and there was a very loud bang, I'm not sure if there was a flash. The front light on the computer was on, but the fans and the computer weren't running. I've opened it up and I'm not sure what to do, the capacitors aren't 'bulbous' which I gather is a good thing.

I'm going to take it back to the Repair Shop tomorrow, but I'm wondering what the likelihood of me getting my computer back to as it was is. Also, is there anything I can do to fix it myself?

If you need any more details, please ask.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your PSU blew out.
I would not plug it back in till it is looked at by the shop. Hopefully it didn't take the motherboard out when it went.
Short of trying a different PSU which at this point I do not suggest until it is looked at. Since the PSU is under warranty i would have the shop check it out. If the PSU is found to be the cause I would have the shop replace it and try it there before taking it home. If it has taken the motherboard out I don't know if they would cover the replacement without a argument.
Also is your system connected to a surge protector or straight to the wall?

Ross M

Ross M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I thought it was the PSU, I'm going to take it in tomorrow and hope for the best.

Is the fact that the front light is on, and the capicitors aren't bulbous a good sign?

Do you think that if it is ruined (the whole computer that is) they shop will replace the whole thing matching specifications?

If not, I may be back on here taking baby steps into building my own pc :)

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good sign in a way. It could have fried the in board lines or solder points or contacts.
The problem is if the shop will accept responsibility for selling you a faulty PSU if that is indeed the problem.
If you do get to the point where you will need to build a new system we can assist with that also.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 08:27 AM.

Ross M

Ross M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Quick update:

PSU was the problem, graphics card was ruined by me, but PC World took it back and replaced with Nvidia GT220. PSU was replaced under warrenty, and no lasting damage to computer. I was very lucky I guess.

Thanks for the help guys!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything back up and running now correctly for you?
Just a FYI make sure you have a good Surge Protector between the system and the wall connection.