Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 uses 3 gb of memory or more in idle mode!

• Please log in to reply

Treboras

Treboras

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Windows 7 uses 3 gb of memory or more in idle mode!

This can not ne normal :)

please help :)

Advertisements

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
i'm no expert, but are you part of a network? thus possibly a cluster? I ask because in a cluster, computers can share resources. Viruses place programs on your computer that can execute commands which use your resources for a purpose unidentified.
have you scanned for malware? geekstogo.com has some hard corps malware TRAINED (as in a program) moderators and community members.
have you run memory diagnostics? you can check the downloads sections of geekstogo.com for some software tools to do the last two things and run network sharing center to check your network membership status.

3gig in idle mode doesn't sounds right to me, mine doesn't use more than 500mb and i've got a 64 bit edition windows.

you can also get a program to free up system memory, and see if that cycle continues itself. glary utilities seems pretty efficient and is available at download.com

i can't give you a more technical answer, as i said, i'm no expert.

Treboras

Treboras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im not in a Cluster and I scanned with Norton for viruses and got no results. Also i don't see any suspicious tasks in the manager.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
well, it wouldn't hurt to consult the malware forums. they are good at finding what doesn't want to be found, but you can try these two things first, they may help. Find a way to manually free your ram and see if the cycle rebegins, or alternatively, shutdown your pc. Open it up, remove your ram. Bleed the power, reinsert your ram and see if the excess usage stops.
Another analysis method might be to kill your internet connection by disabling your modem/ethernet. See if that stops it, if it does then some internet force is behind the, what can now be called, a hijacking.

Unfortunately, that's the last advice I can give you T, hope it helps.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
bleed power= remove anything that can supply voltage to your PC: ethernet cable, power cable, usb ports hooked up to dc boxes, iPods that have power in them, anything. After that, hold down the power on button for thirty seconds, reinsert your accessories and reboot.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
just to check, you aren't participating in like the SETI program or other programs which install software to your computer and allocate bandwidth or other resources to a global project are you? :/ that's all I got.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
oh I can comment on Norton though, although I can't advise you as to removing anything suspicious. I find that Norton doesn't catch everything, just like Windows Live, or even Kaspersky. I trust Kaspersky though. There are software tools for AV removal in the downloads section that can scan and may produce results. Windows Live One Safety Scanner was pretty good, but since you're running 7 it won't be available that I know of (unless they've changed it). That really is all I got now.. lol...good luck

Treboras

Treboras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No S.E.T.I. or such things running.

Did the power bleed.

now at 2,5 gb again

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
i'm barely using 2 gigs and i'm running 5 memory intensive processes right now!! I hate to say it, but you had to have been hijacked by some internet intrusion or virus. The two only differ in someone actively controlling your resources versus someone implementing a program or script to control your resources, corrupt, replace or do such things to you data. I have to advise you to place a post in the malware section and see if you can get more in depth help.

I mean from experience I could advise you to do a hundred things, but the forum moderators would not allow it, and I don't want to place your PC health at risk. Please, check with the malware forum.

Good luck T

Treboras

Treboras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks anyway for your help.

I will post in the Malware section?

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
yeah, its like being on the phone with the dmv...one 'operator' to the next. sorry i couldn't help.

i guess i could stress: did you install glary utilities from download.com, go to the modules area in the interface, and run the memory mod to free up the used space? you can specify how much space to free up and see if it resumes its operation after that.

Edited by Iconicmoronic, 08 January 2010 - 03:38 PM.