Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility inquiry

• Please log in to reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ah yeah Safe Mode didn't work. Haha I made such a silly mistake. All I had to do was reset the CMOS with a quick jumper switch. All is up is running and all is well for the past three hours!!!!! IDE CD-Rom works without a problem, too, was able to install mobo drivers no problem.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is great to hear and I hope it continues. Please let us know how it all goes for you. I will continue to monitor this topic for your results.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Alas. There seems to be one last thing standing between me and the light at the end of the tunnel. Networking; do you feel comfortable answering questions about it before I pile some inquiries on you? I've asked a lot of you already.

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 30 January 2010 - 12:32 AM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I know it's not the modem/router because this laptop is connected perfectly fine. I did a hard reset and changed all the settings but it didn't change anything. I can only believe it's my network adapter/drivers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I can only believe it's my network adapter/drivers

You are correct probably correct.
Lets take a look.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It's odd 'cause I'm connected to the internet and the linksys wireless manager says I'm not. Like I'll connect to the network, and the default icon in the systray will light up, but the manager will stay unlit and ultimately won't connect to the internet. I'm usually good at networking but this is just plain weird(and after I investigate it it'll change the icon to disconnected. Or usually I'll have like 0.0001 mbps signal. Right now it's OK though)

Attached Thumbnails

• Device_manager.jpg

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 30 January 2010 - 06:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have any internet security software running like Nortons?
It looks like the drivers themselves in device manager are working fine.
I'm not sure what exactly you are saying but I'll ask. If you connect directly to the internet instead of through the router\modem do you get internet?

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well the laptop in the room next to mine gets signal just fine. This computer doesn't.

I have manager software with my adapter; it says I'm not connected(I connect through it)

Obviously I'm connected because I'm talking to you right now on this PC. :/

See how they're contradicting eachother? Manager says I'm not, other icon in the tray says I am.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wireless_Manager.jpg

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 30 January 2010 - 08:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is strange for sure. I realize it is frustrating but it may just be a hiccup with the system and could correct itself later. If the system is connecting to the internet then give it a couple of days to see if it corrects itself.
The speed could be another issue since the other systems seems to run fine. Try the following to see if it helps.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
"Cannot communicate with Primary DNS server," it says.

"Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response."

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK so you are on the system but it won't ping?

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I..ah..have no idea what that means. It's just what comes up when I click the networking icon in the systray and tell it to diagnose and repair.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I copied this thread: http://forums.techgu...rimary-dns.html

Maybe this'll work.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts