Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility inquiry

• Please log in to reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ooohhh... so those aren't where the cables are connected to at all. All right.

Advertisements

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay I remember doing that now. Just needed to see that picture with the 16 pins labaled, thanks...

But now about the fans in the Antec 1200. Do those connect to the PSU? Like I said earlier the hard copy of the case manual I have offers no advice about it(because it's probably obvious as well). If so, where and how? Because I had two fans in my last case and they had tiny connectors that just attached to the motherboard. These are much bigger, and have 4-slot connectors that look similar to other PSU connectors.

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 09 January 2010 - 02:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you are describing Molex connectors.
Left side is the white molex and right side is the SATA.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ah yeah, I reckon you're right about the Molex connectors. Except the connector is black and the wires are black and red (color probably has nothing to do with anything)

Do /all/ Molex connectors get connected to the PSU?

EDIT: Nvm, I'm reading http://forums.bit-te...ad.php?t=174457, and they do in fact get connected to PSU.

Now.. ah.. I don't have that many spaces free on my PSU. And there's six fans. I think that's a bad thing?

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 09 January 2010 - 02:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok if all the fans are molex connectors then what you will need is a power Y for the molex. It looks like this below. This will allow one power lead to power two devices or in your case two fans.
You may want to see if you can find some that are a little longer to reach all your fans. Now just a word of caution...try to keep the wiring back away the normal airflow of the system. Zip ties or velcro fasteners work great for this.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh hey I do actually have some of those.

I have one that says "FAN ONLY" on two sides of it. Except there's two pins in the middle part, and two.. metal things in the connectors on the ends with the connectors. Like this => http://images.google...htt...sa=N&um=1

Then I have only two other connectors that are kinda similar in my PSU-bag-of-cables.

It's hard to explain but one has a four slot connector that looks like it goes into the PSU with two ends following(like in a stright line one after another). On the attached ends are what look like Molex connectors with grip things on them (but not in that Y shape). The other cable is just like that one but with three molex connectors attached to it.

Do I have enough to work with?

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 09 January 2010 - 03:13 PM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Also sorry my terminology is terrible please bear with me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you may have to purchase one or two of the power Y's since you have 6 fans to hook up.
It wouldn't hurt to have some extra's anyway. The black ones look like Molex connectors also and since they say for fans on them then that is what they should be used for.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
kk I'm gonna go buy two more.

In the meantime could you tell me how to connect the PSU & fans to them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the PSu should be in the case already.
The fans would attach via the connections you are talking about. One per connection.
It sounds like you may have a Modular PSU which means no cables are permanently connected to it and that is why you keep mentioning the Bag of connectors.
If you can get the make and model of the PSU I can take a look at that for you.

Advertisements

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
http://www.newegg.co.....0Power Supply

^ A bunch of images of my PSU

and yeah it says "Modular Power Supply" right on one of the images, you're right about that

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 09 January 2010 - 03:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh OK sweet PSU. I'm putting one of them in my new system I'm going to build at the end of the month. I like the fact that you don't have to have all the unused cables connected into the PSU.
Makes airflow much better without all the clutter.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Arg I just got home, no stores sold a simple cable ;| Although one should be open tomorrow afternoon that I can get a couple from.

I'll post an update if I finish/get lost tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, and the help so far (in both of my threads)! I'm still pretty unintelligent concerning hardware and sound incoherent when trying to talk about some things, ahaha..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and if you can get some good digital pics of everything it would help out also.
I will await your results tomorrow.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hey, sorry to bug you about something else, but you seem to know a lot.

I've found a very good deal on a new screen for that laptop screen that got cracked I complained about in the other thread.

I'm just trying to figure out the schematics of the machine so I can do the replacement manually myself and save some money.

Can you point me in the right direction or got an idea of what to search for on the internet?

It's a Sony Vaio PCG-8Y2L (VGN-AR520E)

And sure I'll take pictures tomorrow ;o

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 09 January 2010 - 06:55 PM.