Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility inquiry

• Please log in to reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hey... I've been idly wondering during the morning and trying to fathom how the Power Y and Molex fan connectors would connect together. It seems to me like they have the same exact end-piece?

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 10 January 2010 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK go HERE
This is not exactly the replacement but it does show how to take the screen off. I would think then just reverse the removal steps and you should be back up and running.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh cool, thanks for the link, I couldn't find that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and good luck with that.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sorry if my questions are annoying,

But could you tell me how to use the Molex Power-Y adapter cable with my PSU & Molex fan connectors? I'm about to go on an errand to get a couple

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Connect the single side into your existing power cord. The Y part now is capable of connecting two fans instead of just one. It's a power splitter so one connection becomes two.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Alright I think I checked EVERY local store, none had anything yesterday or today (or even any variant of similar cable) I'm just going to buy a couple online ;[ I'll get back to you tomorrow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and thank you for the update.
Try TigerDirect
NewEgg
NewEgg is cheaper but watch the shipping cost on both.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay my cables should get here some time today, shipping say jan 11-12.

I've got most of the cables from the PSU and case hooked up, except for a couple I have to ask about.

But I can't figure out where the HDD is mounted in this case. There's fans everywhere in the front and it looks like there isn't a spot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think I found a picture of the inside of your case HERE
Down where the PSU is and to the right or front of the case if you look reall close you will see the cables for the hard drives. The hard drives mount in those slots.

Advertisements

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Wouldnt that be directly in front of a fan though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes the fan supplies cool air flowing over the HD to keep them cool. It has been a mainstream construction since I can remember in computer cases. As you can see form the picture the system has the hard drives sitting there. That also allows the cool air to flow through the bottom of the case and then rising as it warms up where it is blown out by the rear or upper fans.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 08:50 AM.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I managed to get it all working.

One exception though, DVD/CD Drive is being weird. If the thick black cable (i forget the acronym) is plugged into it, it won't work. If only the molex is plugged into it for power, it will power on and I can get my CD out or put one in. I tried using a 2nd cd drive at my friends house and its the same story.

Edit: IDE*

Edit 2: Just tried using a 2nd IDE cable and it still doesn't work. Still works with just power though.

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 14 January 2010 - 06:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean it doesn't work?
The connection on the IDe will only fit one way on it.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The CD Rom wont open with the IDE cable plugged in. If I just leave the power in, it works fine.