Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet adapter getting no power

• Please log in to reply

skilla

skilla

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all
I'm skilla from barbados and i am a pc novice hope you guys annd gals can help me out.
when ever i plug my cable into a wall ethernet outlet i get not power at all no lights no connection no internet nothing, but if i plug it into a switch or a dsl modem it works well can any one help me with this . I have an acer laptop with a realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC adapter just read that out of divice manager but its latin to me .

Hoping someone can help me out
Skilla

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I know this sounds stupid, but are you sure the wall jack you are using is live?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
spyder is correct...if you plug the cable into a router/switch/modem and it works perfectly but plugging it into the wall jack results in bubkis, then the wall jack is dead

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys and thanks for your replys. The wall outlet is live I pluged a desktop into it and it works fine so thats not the problem, any other suggestons

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you use the same ethernet cable to plug the desktop into the wall as you did the laptop?

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I did, and then I tried two new cables the I brought and still no power.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this in a home or an office?

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Its in an office. Would that make a difference to getting power. When I go to the hub in the office and plug in I get power.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it makes a difference as to who you should check with...do you have an IT group or anything? not sure what that jack connects to but there may be an odd configuration somewhere. unless the wall jack is wired incorrectly or in a non standard manner there should be no difference between plugging directly into a hub/switch/modem/etc.. and plugging into the wall

and it's not a power issue, it's an issue of your NIC not detecting the connection. the NIC isn't powered by the ethernet connection

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Thank you so very much, There is no IT group but i will ask the boss to call the guys that did it.

Any thoughts as to why the desk top works fine.

could it be a problem with my laptop settings.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it COULD be a setting issue, but the settings that COULD effect it are buried pretty deep and i can't see where they'd get changed.

the part where the other computers work when plugged into the wall doesn't make sense either...very odd

as a work around, can you plug in a hub into that wall outlet then plug the computer into the hub? does that work?

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i will get a hub try it and let you know

skilla

skilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
yup that works not sure why but.... Thanks again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well it could be a setting conflict..

ethernet connected devices can have a setting of "MDI" (Media Dependent Interface)or "MDIX" (Media Dependent Interface with Crossover) or auto negotiate

typically modern networking equipment is built to automatically select the proper wiring structure based on what it detects on the other end....there's a chance that the MDI/MDIX settings are screwed up on the laptop, or the device on the other end of the cable is configured as MDI or MDIX incorrectly instead of being set to auto.

http://www.transitio...help/cross.html

it would be more likely for it to be the laptop in this case since other devices work perfectly fine in the same port.

right click on "my network places" and choose properties, then right click on your local area connection and choose properties, press configure next to where it lists your NIC card, go to the advanced tab. what's listed in the property box?