Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reinstallation can't find files because extensions are turned o

• Please log in to reply

michelle_d

michelle_d

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Edit: I found my old old SP1 CD, reformatted the entire thing, and this time I *think* it's going through. Should I leave the post up in case anyone else has a similar problem?

I'm in a really big pickle here. My mother accidentally downloaded a bunch of adware/spyware on her laptop so I told her I'd try to clean it up. The add/remove programs link wasn't working, so I went to repair XP instead. Everything was fine, but towards the end of the 'preparing installation' part, it suddenly had trouble finding files on the CD, even though it was pointed at the right directory and the file was *right there*. I think the problem is that the file extensions were turned off, and it can't find them because of it. But I'm stuck because I can't get them back on right now, and I can't go any further.

Does *anyone* have any suggestions. :)

Edited by michelle_d, 08 January 2010 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Windows repair won't solve your infection issue.
You can either start new topic at our malware section, or go for "clean" install.

michelle_d

michelle_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I ended up reformatting the drive and doing a clean install. I know repairing XP wouldn't get rid of the spyware, but I was hoping it would get my add/remove programs link to work properly, so I could have tried to remove some. Oh well, it's all better now.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good news :)