Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP BOOT UP HELP NEEDED!

• Please log in to reply

s davis

s davis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok here we go. I have read many of the solutions and understand the reboot effect, however i CANNOT LOSE my data on this computer, there is approx 13GB of data, all client files. now most of this data was backed up externally about 6 months ago, however since then nothing has been backed up. My question is how do i correct this boot problem without losing data.

Scenerio.PROBLEM. wife got on this computer and when she began starting it up it went black and read "disk read error, press ctrl alt delete to re start" well she did with no results. I too did with no results, well i went into bios and rearranged boot order, almost opened up windows home screen then went black again. i put boot order back original, i cannnot get this to open correctly. Please help. I need to get this computer on again. all client progress is inside. not to mention spreadsheets, etc...

Could someone please giver directions as to how to turn on or re boot and NOT lose data.

summary: i have 1gb RAM, and 60GB HD. there are about 4-5 GB of hard drive space left, could that too be the reason it shut down. (this is not a gaming computer, simply work.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Since you're getting disk read error AND you have very important data there, I'd immediately slave the drive in another computer, or I'd use USB hard drive enclosure to get your data off of the drive.
If the drive is dying, the more you play with it, the worse things get.
Then, when your data is safe...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.