Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, I'm thinking of upgrading the harddrive in my laptop. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on a replacement harddrive. Also, I was wondering how difficult the upgrade will be. I've been building and upgrading PCs for years now, but I've never really gotten into the inner workings of a laptop. One last thing, is it possible to upgrade the video card in a laptop?? I've heard some say you can't and others say you can. Right now I know my video is integrated, and I don't like that. Here are the specs on my laptop as it is right now.

AMD 64 bit 3400
30 gig hard drive (brand????)
1 gig ddr pc333 ram
integrated video and sound
16x dvd RW
integrated wireless b/g card

That's the basics. If you have any other questions please let me know.

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
You can upgrade the hard disk in the laptop very easil, make sure the laptop is powered switched off and unplugged (removal of the battery is usually a good idea if you you have power switches in funny places that can get knocked accidentally).

On the bottom of the lapdog there's usually a couple of covers screwed in with uber tiny screw's, each cover usually has a symbol on it one for memory, and another for the hard disk.

They are easy to remove and easy to put back in, probably a good idea to visit the manufacturers site and find the spec's for you machine just so you can make sure you get the correct type of hard disk.
You could of course take out the hard disk, take a couple of photo's of it for the guys at maplins or where ever you plan on getting it from so they know what you are after.

As for being able to upgrade your graphic's, as you have graphics intergrated on your chipset i'm afraid you wont be able to upgrade yours, as for in general I'm not actually too sure if Im completely honest