Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HD refuses to boot

• Please log in to reply

shadowqueenie

shadowqueenie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I got a new internal HD yesterday after living for months off my friend's spare 50GiB IDE HD when my last hard drive blew up. I have formatted and partitioned and installed the OS on the new HD, which all went well. I was able to boot it up, run it as C drive and transfer all my personal files from the old HD to the new HD.

Today, after leaving it downloading and installing updates all night, I deleted the old partion on the old 50GiB HD and removed it from my computer. Now my new HD will not boot up. I can see it in BIOS and have changed the boot priority, so that it is set to boot from the HDD first and not to boot from CD/DVD at all. This does not fix the problem. If I remove the CD from the drive, the computer throws a tantrum until it is put back in. Going back to the Windows disk, and opting to do a repair, the new drive will not show up. If I go to the installation screen, the new drive is still there, showing that it still has the partition and data on it.

The Windows disk is legit, for those who may ask, and I have used it successfully with two other similar HDDs. I don't think that's the problem >_<

Any help would be much appreciated - I'm tearing my hair out here!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this will help but when i was swapping HD's in and out of one of my computers that still used IDE HD's, one drive caused the computer to not boot at all. I had used that HD in another computer that i booted from a week ago so i didn't think the drive went bad. After a while i finally figured out that the WD drive had no jumper on the drive and i was using the "cable select" method to hook it up. The WD drive needed the jumper in the cable select position for the computer to see the drive.

Hope this helps.
SRX660

shadowqueenie

shadowqueenie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestion!

I probably should have noted that the new drive is SATA - my computer is a home build and will take both IDE and SATA, and my original drive before it went bust was a SATA so there shouldn't be a compatability issue, or jumpers to sort out...

Thanks for the help though ^_^

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You still have not stated a the hardware setup in your computer. Was your original HD a SATA drive and you switched to a PATA drive? What may have happened is your bios has switched to using the IDE channel for the hard drive. You will need to set the BIOS so that it looks at the SATA connectors for the hard drive. Heres a website on a similar problem.

http://www.mysuperpc...cond_boot.shtml

I'm pretty sure that the last time i had to mess with the bios SATA settings , i had to set SATA to AHCI and not in the RAID setting. Most of the newer MB's you no longer need to do this since PATA( ide) drives are seldom used anymore.

SRX660