Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

jonnyhockey

jonnyhockey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings,

I recently formatted my WD My Passport Elite from FAT32, to NTSF, in order to move files larger than 4 gigs onto it. I found that this new format is not recognized by PS3, and thus attempted to change the format back to FAT32. Instead, I decided to change the format to exFAT, which I found is also not recognized by PS3.

In attempts to format it back to FAT32, (square one *sigh*) I now have an external drive that causes windows explorer to lock up. When I plug it in, and select 'My Computer', it goes into 'Not Responding', until I restart explorer and unplug the drive.

In device manager, it does recognize the drive, but I'm unable to change anything from there.

Any suggestions on how to get my drive back, into a working FAT32?

Regards,

Advertisements

TowardsZero

TowardsZero

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello jonnyhockey,

If there is no data that you need to keep on your external hard drive then the following article may help.
But please be aware: ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST!

Western Digital have a very good knowledge base article(Answer ID 3865).

How to partition and format an external hard drive on Windows (XP, Vista, 7) and Mac OSX.

It also has a link on initializing the drive.

See Link Below

Western Digital

Hope this helps