Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP Background Problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I must've turned off my computer without the shut down button enough times for this to happen, but my new desktop is Active Desktop Recovery. The problem is, if I click the "Restore my Active Desktop" button, this error comes up:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 65
Char: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this action
Code: 0
URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Greg/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Desktop.htt

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Yes No

I would really like to put on my real desktop. Could somebody help? Thanks.

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello BigTrouble,

What version of Internet Explorer are you running? Update it if there are any updates available.

Open Notepad. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad)

Copy and paste the following script into the empty notepad document.

strComputer = "."
Set objReg = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components"
strValue = "0"
ValueName = "DeskHtmlVersion"
objReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strKeyPath, ValueName, strValue

In the top-left corner of the notepad document, navigate to File > Save As.

Save the file to a location where you can easily access (preferably the desktop) and save name the file:

Next, locate your saved file, and run it. After the short script runs, restart your computer.

Does this solve your problem?