Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow file open

• Please log in to reply

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
It was all set as you stated already. I had no changes to make.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then let's move on to some other tests.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well I have completed your last suggestion. Took a little while as stated. Everything went thru smoothly. But we still have same issue of the file open, or insert. Dang it. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did chkdsk /r find and fix any problems?

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
All it said was on each one step thru 5 that it was completed successfully. Gave nothing that it showed it fixed. Sorry, I have noticed one thing, I might ask you about. I have two computers that are hard wired thru my router, and only sometimes do I set up my dj laptop and run it wireless. I am set up using mshome. Now I share my computer thru this one computer to be able to transfer files when needed. I had sharing set on C drive, and when i removed the sharing on my C drive it stepped up some on its speed of opening a file, Now why all of a sudden, when I have had this set as a share, would this have done that? Makes no since. It's definitely not as quick as it used to be, just a little bit faster. Don't know if this helps any. Otherwise I have to always tell C to share, and then unshare it when needed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:
To turn off indexing:

1. Open up "My Computer."
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Please tell me what exactly does this do. Or what will it change.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Indexing is a type of look ahead search for the hard drive and is suppose to help in finding files faster. The problem is though it is faster for that it does slow the speed of the hard drive. Disabling it will help the drive run faster.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well I chose to do it to C and sub folders if that's alright, If not it can be reversed, correct? By checking the box again? Hope you don't mind me asking, I would rather ask, then go blindly at doing things.

Edited by halfpint, 10 January 2010 - 03:06 PM.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well for some reason, that put me back to an incredible slow crawl as bad as it was before I disable the sharing of C. hum

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it is always reversible.

Just repeat the steps and check the box.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well I want you to know, I do appreciate everything you tried. I'm afraid I will have to at some point give up and maybe reformat. I was just trying my best not to since everything else works fine. Thanks again for trying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just not sure what else to offer at this point. Since the system is running correctly other then the issue then I would say the problem is just a hiccup with the OS and it may clear up on its own.
Try this and let's see if it finds anything.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Again, no change. But thanks for trying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok then let's try another step.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results