Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow computer on start up

• Please log in to reply

dennis blake

dennis blake

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an HP desktop computer,(windows XP) when I turn it on, it takes about 5 minutes to open to my windows desktop? Once the computer is running, sometimes when I click on a program (firefox). It might shut down and re-start again. (Then I get a message, start windows normal, or last save configuration?, then it goes though the process of staring up, which takes another 5 minutes)…once I do have my computer running, when I switch between program,(mail, facebook, or other programs, it takes sometime a couple of minutes to switch?) …a while ago, I ran a diagnostic program, and it said I had many errors in my Hex files, and other errors!,,,I tried to download their program to fix the errors, but for some reason the site would not recognize my credit card? So I never fix my errors. ..But when uninstalled the diagnostic programs, then my computer really started to act slow?....can someone guide me, what to do next. I just want my computer to start up normally.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi dennis blake, welcome to GTG! What "diagnostic" program told you that there were errors on the PC? If it's a Registry Cleaner program, I would advise you not to run them, you can read more about them here. They are more trouble than they are worth a lot of the time.

Anyway, lets run Autoruns, which will give us a list of items that are starting up with Windows, which may be causing the PC to run slowly.

Download Autoruns from here
  • Extract the contents of Autoruns.zip (by right clicking)
  • Double click autoruns.exe from the extracted folder
  • Click Options at the top, then click Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries
  • Click File > Refresh
  • Click File > Save and save the file as AutoRuns.txt
  • Attach the AutoRuns.txt to your next reply

dennis blake

dennis blake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
here is my auto run text

Attached Files

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for that dennis.

What's best for you now, is if you create a new Topic in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal section, where a trained Malware Helper will get the infections fully removed for you and make sure your PC is clean. Can you also please provide them a link to this topic so they will know the background to the problem.

When they have cleared all the infections from the PC, if you are still having issues with the PC running slowly, come back to this topic and I'll gladly carry on from there :)

Edited by Essexboy, 09 January 2010 - 04:52 PM.

dennis blake

dennis blake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for all your help...will follow up with all your advice ....hope it works,,,again thanks