Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ChessMaster 6000

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I installed ChessMaster 6000 (for Windows 95/98) on my computer which runs Windows XP. I had previously used this program on my old computer (Windows 98) and hoped to use it again. However, immediately after installation I noticed some of the features did not work properly so I decided to uninstall it.

After clicking on the last button in the uninstall wizard, the uninstall window froze and did not unfreeze in the next 3 minutes, so I closed it through the task manager. Running a search for "chessmaster" revealed that a number of files (mostly with the extenstion .dll) were left in the Program Files folder, and could not be deleted manually.

Can someone please tell me how to delete these files?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Your lucky- i couldnt get it on my computer because of "compatability"

try this:

Click Here to download TheKillbox. Extract TheKillBox.exe from the zip file and double click it to open it up. In the 'Enter Full Path and Filename to Delete' box, copy and paste the entries one by one, clicking 'Find and Kill This File' after each one:

Click 'Exit' when done.

Note: If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run TheKillbox, download and run: http://www.javacools...ngfilesetup.exe. Then try TheKillbox again.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Before I download TheKillbox, should I have a seperate program that will extract the zipped file?

Edit: I did a system restore, using the restore point from yesterday (May 17th) morning, in case the compatibility issues between the CD and system caused the system to be altered in some unfavorable way. This also helped me get rid of the undeletable .dll files. Does it matter that after the restore point was created several programs (Norton and ewido) had automatic updates? and will I have to manually update them now after the system restore?

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 18 May 2005 - 07:58 AM.