Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's my problem MB or CPU Fan

• Please log in to reply

iiscnu

iiscnu

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a brand new system that I put together from pieces using the parts below. My problem is I have installed everything and the cpu fan isn't running. I can get to the CMOS but after the computer has been on for a few minutes I guess it overheats and the Power supply cuts the entire unit off. I have disconnected everything but the motherboard with the cpu/fan connected and power supply and the green light on the MB comes on and the power supply lights up and blows out the back, but nothing with the cpu fan. Could there be an issue with the MB or is it the CPU fan?
Thanks for your input in advance.
Jen

Rosewill Xtreme
Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2
& EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible
with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817182072
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX
Item #: N82E16819103674
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119137
ECS BLACK SERIES A790GXM-AD3 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813135236
EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814130475
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full
Item #: N82E16832116716
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136283
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1333ELK
Item #: N82E16820220435

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the cpu fan plugged into the motherboard where it says CPU Fan?

iiscnu

iiscnu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes it is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the problem could be a bad power connector.
Was the cpu a retail version with the fan already attached or was the fan bought separate?

iiscnu

iiscnu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The fan was already attached to the heatsink. I put the socket am3 cpu in and put the heatsink on top fastened it down with the thermal paste that was already applied to it from manufacter. Everything was bought new from newegg.com

iiscnu

iiscnu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
And are you referring to the wires from the fan or the power supply wires that power the board? I do have a voltage meter but not sure what exactly to test where without blowing mb up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I found the manual and downloaded it. Here is the pic that shows the connections. Is the cpu fan connected to the connector on the top where it shows it should be?
Are all the other connections made as instructed on the picture?

iiscnu

iiscnu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes right now everything is connected and I can get to the CMOS to start the configuration but after a min or two it overheats I guess and the entire computer shuts down. I even took it down to just the power supply, 24 pin connector and cpu fan wire connected = No movement on cpu fan, however Power Supply did turn on and blow air out the back and the green indicator light on the mb was on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say there is only two options at this time.
Faulty power connector on the MOBO or faulty fan on the CPU.
What I suggest is contacting NewEgg and asking them about this. Since everything is under warranty then let them replace it. It would be better to find out now then later have your system go down after the warranty is out.
The only other option I can give you is to run a bench test on the mobo. Don't worry about the fact this is for the a short issue. What I am looking for is if the fan will turn during either test.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 January 2010 - 07:07 PM.