Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disposing of a windows 98, what should I do with HD?

• Please log in to reply

redandblue

redandblue

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I am getting rid of an old windows 98 which was a family PC but I have been told I need to destory the Hard Drive as it has my financial details etc onit, what should I do? I have drilled about 10 holes in it and smashed it with a hammer? Do you think any date could still be retrived from it? or is there anything else I could do?

Also which part has the information on it? Is it the part that looks like a Double CD?

I have enclosed a photo of it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No photo and yes the platters or cd's as you call them is what holds the data.
You could have used DBAN to erase all the information. It sounds like you did a good job at destroying the outside. Now that you have done that you can take the casing apart and smash the platters. That will ensure no data can be retrieved.
Derek's Boot and Nuke

redandblue

redandblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks,

I am trying to attach two pictures of the hard drive so you can tell me if you think theres no way anyone can steal my private information off it now?

SO the platters are the only things with the information on, none of the other parts.

http://yfrog.com/6wpicture11aj

http://yfrog.com/bapicture12j

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK :) if that second pic is the actual platter i would say you are pretty safe. To add a suggestion i would probably take it out and put it in a fire like a BBQ. That would definitely destroy the platter completely. :) :)

redandblue

redandblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yep that second pic is the platter. So you recommed I get a few logs and paper and burn it too.

redandblue

redandblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have heard that putting it in acid too is good. I just want to make sure its totally impossible to extract any of my information from it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yep that second pic is the platter. So you recommed I get a few logs and paper and burn it too.

Yep if it is completely melted down then there is no way to get any data off it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its to late now, but if you DBAN'd it then could have used it as a 2nd drive in your new computer (depending on size of course).

redandblue

redandblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I got the platter the round part that looks like a CD and pressed it into a grinder untill all that was left was the very middle thick metal hard round part with a nail though it. I think its called the spindle. Does the spindel hold information?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Information is on the platters only.
With what you did, no one will get any thing off of it

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Wow, that is what I call "Data Destruction". This topic was very amusing to me, this is probably the best job I've ever seen someone destroying a hard drive. :)

From what I've gathered in the business I work in, many companies will actually use a log splitter to cut the hard drives into... which in turn cuts the platters in two. I've also seen hard drives that were destroyed by a very hard stamp or hammer putting a hole right through it a couple times.

Glad you got it destroyed :)