Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 will not boot

• Please log in to reply

andybodin

andybodin

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I noticed that a floppy drive is listed as a drive on my computer running windows 7 home premium 64 bit, but I do not have one. I tried to turn off the flopy drive in the bios but when I do this the computer will not boot. If i reinable the floppy drive the computer will boot. Why? any way to fix?

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
What is the error message when Windows 7 fails to boot after Disabling the Floppy Drive in the BIOS?
Also, make sure it is not listed in the Boot Order (in the BIOS) as well, making sure it's set to CD/DVD then Hard Drive. See if it will work then.

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no error message computer just will not boot, boot order is hardrive, cd

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
the same thing happens in windows xp professional 32 bit, shows floppy drive if you disable it computer will not boot

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
What is is the exact name of the item you are disabling in the BIOS, e.g Floppy Drive, Floppy Controller, Seek Floppy etc

Also what is the model of your PC and do you know what BIOS you have, e.g Award BIOS, AMI BIOS etc.

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Floppy Drive, I have a gigabyte ep45-ud3r motherboard AWARD BIOS , i bult my pc

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for that info...

Go into the BIOS and go to the screen below.

Make sure:
Drive A = None
Floppy 3 Mode Support = Disabled
Halt On = All, But Diskette
Save the changes and see if it works

Posted Image

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Same problem and it takes multiple power downs reboots to finally get windows to reboot!!!!!!!!!!! Do think there is some problem with my motherboard?

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hmmm, possiblity it may be the Motherboard. Try Load Fail-Safe Defaults, then Press F10 and save the changes and see what its like then. If its OK, try those changes I suggested a couple of posts above again and let me know how you get on.