Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista laptop failing to startup

• Please log in to reply

Cloe

Cloe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop was working perfectly fine today.
It started lagging some when I played an mmorpg with a friend, which I found a little odd since it's never happened before.

I decided to restart my computer but accidentally shut down instead. So when I booted my laptop back up the screen remained black and took me to the "safe mode" screen.
I scanned my computer twice for errors and nothing could be resolved.

Before I shutdown my computer or even started playing my mmorpg game there were two transparent like icons titled "desktop". I don't remember what the rest of the file name was, just that desktop was the beginning of it.

For some reason I feared they were some sort of trojan since my jumpdrives picked them up from our school's computers, so I deleted the files.

So my question is, is it those files I deleted that is preventing my laptop from booting up properly?(I can't even get TO the login screen).

If that is the problem how do I fix it?

Please help, I start college tomorrow and this laptop is essential to my classes.

Advertisements