Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP DOES NOT BOOT UP!

• Please log in to reply

alexander255110

alexander255110

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
This is the problem: I turn on my computer,after the XP loading screen with the blue scrolling thingy is finished, it just goes completely blank black. No response. Nothing

So this is what I did the last time it worked.

I was trying to install ubuntu on my computer and when it came to the "Creating Virtual Drives part" it was taking so long i quitted it. So the next time i turned on my computer, it didnt work. So I opened my computer case (its desktop) and pushed some plugs to make sure its sturdy and put it back together. It didnt work again

Now this is how im getting help from you: im using the "try ubuntu without any changes" feature on the Ubuntu CD to type this...

PLEASE HELP ME
i have ALOT OF photos and memories!!!!!
i hope this is fixable cause its school year and i need to use it too!!!

HELPPPPP THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
OH! and also, i was trying to install Ubuntu on my K: external hard drive, not my C: main drive

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I think I would try booting in Safe Mode to see if you can even get to anything on your desktop.

To start your computer in Safe Mode go here.

Let us know if you can get to your desktop in Safe Mode.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the drive sounds like it has issues...
you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to try and get your data...
or get
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to usb flash drives or a external usb hard drive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

this guide is for using usb flash drives but if you have a external hard drive just subsitute your external drive where it says flash drive

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it ...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window tabout half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that contains your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in
again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
okay so, I haven't booted my computer into safe mode yet (the last time I tried but it took quite a while on Mup.sys or something so i turned it off) but this is what i found out about my computer. All my hard drives (i have one internal and one external) are working fine. I know this because when I use Ubuntu (to write this again) it show everything i have in there that i had when windows was working. So I guess we can rule out Hard Drive Failure.

I see all my files in my internal and external drives and i opened them too. it works.

Thanks so much again. I'll try to boot my computer up in safe mode if I can. Please tell me what to do if that doesnt work.

Thanks so much!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I know this because when I use Ubuntu (to write this again) it show everything i have in there that i had when windows was working. So I guess we can rule out Hard Drive Failure.

no...your running a Ubuntu live cd...
use ubuntu to back up all your data first before we do anything else...then let us know if your wanting to fix windows or install ubuntu...

OH! and also, i was trying to install Ubuntu on my K: external hard drive, not my C: main drive

this will not work...

I was trying to install ubuntu on my computer and when it came to the "Creating Virtual Drives part" it was taking so long i quitted it

you have over written the master boot record and that's why windows won't boot...you need to be real clear on exactly what your trying to accomplish

Edited by happyrock, 12 January 2010 - 09:14 AM.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
wait, I'm not sure what you mean.
are you saying that my hard drive has failed? I still dont think so because I can still access my files.
Also, what program do you recommend to back up my C: drive to my external hard drive. My external hard drive has 750 GB and my C: has 200 GB. I dont really want to waste alot of CDs to back up my computer.
Nothing is really stored in my external hard drive so i dont need to back it up. It only has some files and other stuff in it.

Thanks so much

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Oh! and I forgot that you asked about Ubuntu.
I wanted to Dual-boot ubuntu and windows because sometimes I just want to go on the internet quick and shut down. and sometimes i want windows because i can play my games.
is that possible?
I want to install Ubuntu on my K:/ external hard drive as said before, it has 750 GB of space and C only has 200GB (and less after it has been formatted)

Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...I don't mean the drive is dead...you have overwritten the master boot record when you tried to install unbuntu...

I want to install Ubuntu on my K:/ external hard drive as said before, it has 750 GB of space and C only has 200GB (and less after it has been formatted)

most computers will not boot from a external drive...see the guide below on how to set up a dual boot setup..

Also, what program do you recommend to back up my C: drive to my external hard drive

go here... Beginners Guides: Back up and Restore Data in WinXP...
if you just want to back up your data go here

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

I will tell you how to rewrite the MBR (master boot record) in awhile ...got work to do for about 3 hours

Edited by happyrock, 14 January 2010 - 08:06 AM.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Oh I understand now.

Okay, so I was trying to Back up my computer with the programs you said before. This is what happened
So i downloaded Burncdcc.exe and the puppy seamonkey fulldrivers.iso and also WINE to open Burncdcc since its a Windows application.

After i opened Burncdcc, it says unable to find or allocate CD/DVD device, even though i have one (and its working cause im using it to run the Ubuntu CD)

In addition, I dont know how i am supposed to burn a CD while running a CD operating system (i only have one CD Drive)

Also, I dont know if the program didnt work because its running on a Live CD and can't detect my hardware or that its for windows.
What other Back-up Application do you suggest for Linux? Im planning to back it up on my external hard drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use puppy linux...after it loads completely you can remove the cd because it run in RAM...

So i downloaded Burncdcc.exe and the puppy seamonkey fulldrivers.iso and also WINE to open Burncdcc since its a Windows application.

NOT GONNA WORK using WINE...get somebody using windows to burn the puppy cd for you...
the following is for backing up data to a flash drive and moving the data to a working computers...just substitute your external drive where it calls for the flash drive...just drag and drop the data to your external hard drive
===============
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to usb flash drives or a external usb hard drive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

this guide is for using usb flash drives but if you have a external hard drive just subsitute your external drive where it says flash drive

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it ...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window tabout half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that contains your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in
again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Advertisements

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
okay, so i burned the Puppy Linux to a CD with another computer and placed it into my computer
after the first part where it tells you to wait five seconds is done, the next loading screen is unresponsive, I left the computer overnight and nothing changed.
So I tried it again by putting in the code it says on the five second wait for the run only in ram thing, and its the same. nothing changed.
what do i do now?
I dont know what's going on.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Code?
There should be no code. It should just load right up.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
okay the boot screen i got before the loading screen that never finishes was similar to this
http://www.dedoimedo...boot_screen.jpg
the loading screen that never finishes says like "loading kernal" and then "..."
and it never loads.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the disk on another system to see if it will work?

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
okay it works on my other computer.
so the problem with this computer is when i run it, when it says loading Kernel.. this doesn't say done in green
The other computer "done"s
It just never loads it or something

Thanks