Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DESPERATE FOR HELP WITH WINDOWS ME

• Please log in to reply

JENDELA

JENDELA

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am having a serious problem with my computer. It is running windows ME. Initially I could connect to the internet but I kept having KERNEL32 error pop up and shut down programs
So I did a defrag and a scan disk and now I cant conect to the internet!
I then tried a system restore but no luck!
Could someone please,please help me?
J

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
where do I find winsock fix ? the computer is not in front of me!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok...I am pretty unexperienced when it comes to computers. If I can not connect to the internet, how am I supposed to download this winsock repair utility?

When I do an ipconfig, I get an error that says fatal error. I have established that the computer has a virus.

Should I just try to reinstall windows? I have a windows 98 boot disk. Would that work?
Could someone give me a step by step guide to reinstalling? I would really appreciate it.
thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
re-reading the thread...

what preceded this problem?

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
initially, the computer was connecting to the internet but kernel32 error kept popping up and closing programs.
So I did a disk cleanup, scan disk, took some unused junk off the computer. The computer could not connect to my ISP (it was a friends computer) so I couldn't do a virus scan or run ad-aware.
When they returned home they could not connect to the Internet. They called their ISP and they walked them thru some stuff to figure out the problem. After doing an ipconfig, they got an error message that said "fatal error"
They were not running/updating the Norton they had on their computer. I did some research and came across this article:

http://support.micro...=286748&sd=RMVP

This is a little over my head. I have a windows 98 boot disk. Can I just reinstall windows with that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot reinstall winme with a windows 98 disk....where is the winme disk?

Not sure that is needed anyway....

Do a search on your computer...look for *.cab files

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Dont have the windows me disk.
I should search for .cab files? Then what?
Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
want to know if they are there so we can extract files as needed....if not, we need the winme disk

Advertisements

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, if they are there....then what do I do?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
open the folder that has the cab files in it....is there a setup.exe in there.

If so, run that and it will reinsall WindowsME over itself (no data is lost).

Is there A certificate of authenticity on the machine with the cd-key---there usually is.

You may not read it...if the system is only marginally messed up, it will just use the key in the reg. If it is major messed up, you sometimes need to use it.

You MUST install windows to the same directory it is currently in for this to work so that all programs will continue functioning

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok so, click on that file and then hit run? Even if they are zip files?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those are compressed archives...setup will extract what it needs. Windows will reinstall over itself, repairing problems, but leaving everything else alone as long as the system is relatively stable

JENDELA

JENDELA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
There is not setup.exe file! What do I do now?!?!