Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo laptop stuck in boot cycles

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have a Lenovo Y500 laptop running Windows XP SP2.I had experienced some virus problems so I installed Avast antivirus.Later I changed it to Bitdefender 2010 Total Security trial.
When I restarted the system after the install, I could not boot into XP and the system was stuck in an infinite reboot cycle.I could not even boot using the XP CD or any other bootable CD for that matter.I have set BIOS to boot from the DVD RAM drive.

Even safe mode doesn't work for me.Please help...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please double check the stup of first priority boot device. Are you sure that your CD drive is working? Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode or, even better. to Last known good confuguration?

First we must get your system to boot. If possible, take out the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and reinstall. Do this only if the battery is easy to reach (do not take the laptop apart). When you reset the BIOS the power battery and charger must be disconnected. If you can't find the CMOS battery remove the charger and battery and press the power switch for about a minute. You know that CMOS was reset when time and date are reset.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
The boot priority is correctly set with the DVD writer 1st followed by the HDD.
Safe mode and Last known are not working for me and I can't find the CMOS battery.
However if I select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" in that menu, I get this message:
"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

I then have to restart the system.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you reach Recovery Console when you boot with XP CD? From your first post I thought that the problem is with the hardware (BIOS, for that matter is part of the hardware) but obviously it is not.

Please follow the imstructions on this link.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
No, I cannot boot from my XP CD so I can't access the recovery console.I can hear the DVD writer trying to read from the disc but again it tries to boot into Windows(on the HDD).The Xp loading screen appears for a couple of secs and the system restarts.
If I leave it like that, it keeps on rebooting.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if your CD drive is not working. Download Puppy Linux and burn the ISO file to a CD. Try to boot with the CD. If not successful follow the instructions and create a bootable USB pen drive (or whatever these are called) and boot the computer (make the USB a first priority boot device). If you succeed with the USB but fail with the CD then most chances are that the CD drive is faulty.