Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help reinstalling windows

• Please log in to reply

THizZ

THizZ

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello. I was wondering if someone can answer some questions i have. i need to reinstall windows on my computer. i have the operating system disc but my computer's dvd drive will not recognize discs anymore. is it possible to run the disc using an external hard drive? If it is not, is there any other way to do it? I think my computer has part of the hard drive saved for recovery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
if it makes a difference i have an older emachines t5048.

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Unfortunately, your best bet would be to replace your ailing DVD drive. Without it, you will be left to copy everything you want to use to your external drive then move the external drive to your computer then install. That would be doing twice the work.

Trying to install Windows from the external drive would not work other than a repair install ( and that is not guaranteed to work ).

My best recommendation would be to replace your DVD drive and reinstall windows from the CD. This way you have a working DVD drive that you can then install any other software that is on CD/DVD without any problems.

Hope this helps,

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have a question. Is there a particular reason why you want to reformat and re-load the OS?

I think my computer has part of the hard drive saved for recovery.

If you have a recovery partition it is started by tapping the F11 key during bootup. It is powered by PC Angel Recovery. This will reformat and load the OS and all required drivers. You will also get all the original software and programs.

i have the operating system disc

Is this a recovery CD or a full MS install CD for the OS?

As a FYI....Finding a manual is a undaunting task. Not just on your unit, but all Emachines

THizZ

THizZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanks 123runner i will try that.

the disc i have says operating system disc and that it will reinstall my operating system. i've used it before. it will reformat everything so it's like when i first purchased the computer. i want to use it because my computer is running real slow for some reason. ive tried scanning for viruses/malware uninstalling programs that i dont need but still no change. so i figured this will be an easier fix.