Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tcpip.sys BSOD error + browser freezing

• Please log in to reply

bardena

bardena

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I've been having a problem recently where my computer (vaio laptop w/ XP) will either go to a blue screen of death or freeze entirely when using the internet. It doesn't seem to be related to particularly heavy resource demand and happens mostly when scrolling on a webpage using the down arrow key.

The BSOD error that it gives is the IRQL not less or equal one, but the description of that in the thread on BSOD error codes doesn't give me any more of an idea of what's going on.

I downloaded Chrome to see if it was related to Firefox (as unlikely as that seemed) and it's happening with Chrome too. I have all of the service packs and updates installed, and have upgraded my wireless card driver to the most recent version.

I'm attaching a minidump zip, and the event view for the most recent BSOD says:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

This has been happening ever since I re-installed Windows and added more memory - my theory is that there may be something wrong with the new memory I got? Should I check this, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I really appreciate it!

Edited by bardena, 15 January 2010 - 06:30 AM.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi bardena, welcome to GTG! :)

Looking through those Memory Dumps, w22n51.sys seems the likely culprit as it appears in most of those errors. This is the driver related to your Intel Wireless device. I know you say you have installed the latest driver, but if you did get it from the Sony website, it may not be the actual latest one available.

If you visit http://downloadcente...ProductID=1637 and download the top one (v12.​​4.​​4.​​5/​​9.​​0.​​4.​​39) and then install it once downloaded. Reboot and test your PC by browsing again and see if that has worked.

If not, then test your RAM, as you have said you have recently fitted some.
To do this...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

(Big Thanks to Broni for these instructions)

bardena

bardena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi BlackOxide, thanks a lot for your help!

That version of the driver is the one I had, but I re-installed it anyway. I haven't gotten BSOD yet (which was always the rarer of the two crashes), but I have had it freeze my computer, so I guess it wasn't the driver. I'll have a look at the memtest and let you know what it says!

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts

Hi BlackOxide, thanks a lot for your help!

That version of the driver is the one I had, but I re-installed it anyway. I haven't gotten BSOD yet (which was always the rarer of the two crashes), but I have had it freeze my computer, so I guess it wasn't the driver. I'll have a look at the memtest and let you know what it says!

Cool, yep let me know how you get on :)

bardena

bardena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It did 6 passes and didn't find any memory errors.

I haven't had another blue screen of death, but as I said, that was always rarer than just freezing - which it's still doing. It does seem to happen more when there are multiple tabs open, and it freezes the whole computer. Ctl-alt-delete doesn't work, and I have to hard reboot.

Would that generate any error logs anywhere that might provide any clues?

Thanks!

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hello again bardena. Can you just confirm that the freezing only happens when you are in a web browser?

Can you give me the make and model of your PC please? If you can't find the model or it is a custom built machine, then run CPU-Z which will get the details of your Motherboard...

To do this...
  • Download CPU-Z from here
  • Save it to a convient place like your Desktop and double click the installer
  • Remember to UNtick the Ask Toolbar as you are going through the installer
  • Once installed, double click on the CPUID CPU-Z icon on the Desktop
  • Click the Mainboard tab at the top
  • Please post back with 'Manufacturer' and 'Model'

Next, run Autoruns to find out what is starting with Windows...
Download Autoruns from here
  • Extract the contents of Autoruns.zip (by right clicking the Zip file)
  • Double click autoruns.exe which can be found in the folder which was just extracted
  • Click Options at the top, then click Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries
  • Click File > Refresh
  • Click File > Save and save the file as AutoRuns.txt
  • Attach the AutoRuns.txt to your next reply

I'll have a look to see if any logs have been created when your PC freezes.
  • Download VEW by Vino Rosso here and save it to your desktop
  • Double click the VEW.exe file on the desktop
  • Tick both Application and System under 'Select log to query'
  • Tick Error and Warning under 'Select type to list'
  • Under 'Number of events' click Number of events and type 10 in the box
  • Click Run and a text box will show with information
  • Save this text file to your desktop, then attach the VEW.txt it in your next reply

If you can post back with the Model of your PC, Autoruns.txt and VEW.txt and I'll go from there :)

bardena

bardena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it has only frozen in a web browser - and as I mentioned above, it doesn't matter whether it's firefox or chrome.

It hasn't crashed since I ran memtest. It seems highly improbable that just running memtest would have fixed anything, but it's been nearly a week now, and it had been crashing a few times a day. If and when it crashes again, I'll run VEW and post the results. But in the meantime, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that it's somehow magically sorted itself out!

Thanks again for all your help with this! :)

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
You're welcome, thanks for the update :) Lets hope it has sorted itself out then. MemTest is only testing the RAM so it shouldn't have 'fixed' anything like you said. But yep, just post those other logs if the problem comes back.

Computers can do very strange things at times can't they :)