Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Right clicking for the first time is extremely slow.

• Please log in to reply

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I've kept my XP machine that I built in 2005 in top shape for the past four years and change. It's gone through two re-formats, but I'm still proud of my little S939 3500+ now showing up my college roommates after all this time.

With my recent video card upgrade, I can run Crysis while listening to music without a hitch.

The only major annoyance I get from my PC right now is the fact that the first time I right click on a file or folder or even the desktop for the first time after I come back from hibernation, it takes about 10 seconds for the context window to appear.

Sure I have a few shell extensions: Edit with Notepad++, WinRar actions, Picassa Actions, Groove Actions etc. Rather than go into each of these programs and find how to turn them off, I'm wondering if there's a single registry key I can edit to speed up my right click response.

Is it even these items that are doing it?

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 10 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
This could be caused by a shell extension slowing it down.

See this: http://labnol.blogsp...-time-read.html