Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK sounds great. Hard to believe one memory module could cause all this drama huh?
:)

Advertisements

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Im happy that it could be possibly solved, i was playing left for dead 2 for the past 5 minutes no problems, Im going to leave my computer on and hopefully when I come back from dinner if its still on ill be happy.

Im surprised as to how a yanked out cored could do this, and leave all the other memory basically fine though.

Im going to call the company tomorrow and ask for another gig to be sent, as a replacement for this one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Im surprised as to how a yanked out cored could do this, and leave all the other memory basically fine though.

Happens all the time but still surprises me when it is the cause.

Im going to call the company tomorrow and ask for another gig to be sent, as a replacement for this one.
Let me know what they say but make sure system runs good like you said till you get back from dinner

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Computer still on, so that definately fixed the problem. However ill still keep on my toes, and I will post a reply if anything does come up.

Thank you so much for helping. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I will await patiently for the results later and maybe even tomorrow.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So far so good, on for over 6 hours and nothing has happened.

I will update you on the status of my memory tomorrow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)
I await for your response.
BTW great job.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, so I called them today.

They are going to send the new ram out, and basically I need to put in the defective ram, and one other. They only come in pairs.

They've agreed to replace the ram, however it will cost me shipping.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

and basically I need to put in the defective ram, and one other

Why would you put the defective module back in? If they are replacing it then put the new memory in as it should be a matching stick to the defective one.
Bad out good in.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 January 2010 - 02:01 PM.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Lol, I meant I only have to put the defective piece of RAM in, and another one.

Didn't say I was going to put it back inside the computer, lol.

Oh, and it happened again, however this was after about 5 hours online, it could be a fluke, if anything happens I will let you know.

Edit:

However when I plug my ipod into the computer, the computer shuts off all the programs exactly as the memory did, which is weird. Any idea's, because when the i pod plugs in, Itunes is supposed to start up.

: /

Edited by Logikk, 11 January 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Advertisements

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, this is weird.

I turned my computer off and about 4 -6 minutes later it turned itself back on, and it never got past the beep, and kept resetting itself until I got up and went over to it. The second I went over to it, it stopped and booted up perfectly. Which is 100% weird.

It happened 2 more times at exactly 5 minute intervals.

Not sure what could cause this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well unless you have a faulty power supply or a bad motherboard I can see no other reason for this.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Happened again, however this time there was like screen tearing, as if someone had ripped a section of the screen out, and it was black.

Sigh...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok, this is weird.

I turned my computer off and about 4 -6 minutes later it turned itself back on, and it never got past the beep, and kept resetting itself until I got up and went over to it. The second I went over to it, it stopped and booted up perfectly. Which is 100% weird.

The post beep you mention is it the normal one short beep or is there a pattern to it?

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The beep that tells you everything is starting ok, before it gets to the booting screen