Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm looking at other possibilities here.
Has there been any storms in your area lately where the power may have flickered or went out?
Is your system hooked to a surge protector?
What about trying a different outlet and see if there is a fault there?

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 January 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Still a fault, got a brand new surge protector, and as of lately there have been no storms in the area.

http://www.staples.c...4?cmArea=SEARCH

Thats the current surge protector.

I switched to a different outlet as you suggested.

Its weird there is no pattern, its just random.

Edited by Logikk, 12 January 2010 - 02:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At the point you are describing with the beep the system hasn't even gotten to the OS.
This is what leading me to believe it is a faulty PSU or Motherboard at this point.
It makes sense at this point to check the PSU now as that would be the most logical culprit.
How old is the motherboard in the system?

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Everything is brand new, well brand new, 6 months.

It turned off by itself again, this time with no warning.
:)

Edited by Logikk, 12 January 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

At the point you are describing with the beep the system hasn't even gotten to the OS.
This is what leading me to believe it is a faulty PSU or Motherboard at this point.
It makes sense at this point to check the PSU now as that would be the most logical culprit.
How old is the motherboard in the system?

This only happened 3 out of the 4 times, while the 4th being the lucky one letting me get on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK has this been going on the whole 6 months then?

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No only a week lol.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well i think I have reached the limit of what i can do without physically getting inside the system. I am going to ask another tech to look at this and see if they can come up with anything more we can try. Being under warranty there is little we can do if it will not start.
I will see if there is any other diagnostics that can be done.
All fans are turning, the memory has been changed and the OS seems to be working.
Hard drive diagnostics is the only test I can think of now.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I have had 2 other Techs look at this and they both agree with me. This is a hardware issue that needs to be corrected by the manufacturer.
Have you contacted them about support via phone or on site repair or if they would send the shipping label to send it back so that you don't have to pay for the shipping?

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 January 2010 - 10:42 PM.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No apparently it doesn't even boot up, however turns on and looks nice. They honor the parts and labor, just not the shipping.
:)

I have contacted them, and however the lines were apparently jammed with people, however I left some messages via email, phone and with an actual person.

Via Open ticket.

Sigh,

I will be calling them nonstop tomorrow.

When is 9 A.M. PST, is that 12 PM Est or 1 Est.

Edited by Logikk, 12 January 2010 - 10:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure.. here it is 10:43 my time when I'm replying back to you. Let me know how it goes tomorrow and good luck.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Says Ron at 2.44 PM above! :)

This definitely sounds like a PSU or motherboard problem, I agree with Ron here. Unfortunately it looks like shipping is going to be the killer. :)

Just a few thoughts to try:
1) Have you tried plugging it directly into the wall, no UPS whatsoever? From reading your posts it sounds like you went from one UPS straight to another.
2) Try moving the computer to the other side of the house and plugging it in to the wall there (or a friends house or something), it's possible that the wall outlet isn't up to scratch.
3) Have you tried different power cable from wall to computer?

Also give us an idea on shipping, I'm not sure what your costs are like over there but it may work out better just to grab some new parts and fix it yourself?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Troy I think the evidence all points to the problem and with 4 different techs verifying warranty repair is the answer. I wonder if the manufacturer would cover it if taken to a shop and done by a qualified shop?
It may be worth a question to them Logikk when you talk to them. :) :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I wonder if the manufacturer would cover it if taken to a shop and done by a qualified shop?
It may be worth a question to them Logikk when you talk to them. :) :) :)

I have been contacted by several manufactures over the years about doing onsite warranty work for them...
turned them down because they wanted me to accept a flat $35.00 per ticket ...that is for traveling up to 40 miles one way...replacing whatever component was bad...mailing the bad component back to them and then waiting for about a month to collect...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good point Happyrock
I guess the I was hoping for a way to speed things along for Logikk.