Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Still waiting for someone to call me back from yesterday, starting to get fed up.

I have no idea how much it will cost me as of yet, however it is being shipped from NY to California, then back, and the package is about 37 pounds.

Ya this problem happens regardless of where it is, however the problem is not even it shutting down, its it being able to even get to the booting process...

Im going to flip if someone doesn't contact me back soon. Because its been a little over 24 hours, and 3 tickets...

Edited by Logikk, 13 January 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
how are you sending it, Fedex, UPS or USPS?
I might be able to get you some rates.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, they agreed to send it back, he also believes its a power supply / motherboard failure, and they should be able to replace the faulty memory stick at the same time.

However now they said if we supply them a credit card they will take care of everything via Local Pickup.

As of now, I have given them my credit card, and they have arranged for a Local Pickup on Friday.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok but am I reading correctly you are still paying for it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Who is the manufacturer? Why are you so far away from them? This is one reason why I always recommend a local PC shop. They get to know you, you get to know them, and they're just down the road from you. Sometimes it might be a little more expensive but good quality service is always worth the money in my opinion.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ya as of right now, I am unsure of what to do, it is going to be 150 dollars, overall to be shipped to California and Back. I was outraged at that type of price, and I am considering what to do.

I have not sent it out yet, and when he said 150 dollars I said I would have to call him back.

Edited by Logikk, 13 January 2010 - 06:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) That is just insane. You could buy a new MOBO and PSU for less then that probably.
I have to agree with Troy here. Is this a name brand system or custom built?

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Custom built.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I really apologize for this and if it wasn't for the warranty we could have done more. :)

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, so since I still have my old computer a Dell which isnt that bad. Now I get like this long drawn out beep the keeps repeating itself, like a foghorn sort of. Any ideas?

Nvm, I found out what it meant by looking at the dell diagnostics manual.

"Possible Processor Failure / Problem."

Edited by Logikk, 13 January 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check the inside to make sure the CPU hasn't become unseated or it is full of dust in the cooling fan.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, my computer is working fine.

Thank you for all the help, as it definately made a difference. Ill continue to write updates and your free to check back on it. But I am definately returning it and getting a Dell or Alienware, as my 4 year old Dell computer, has more stability than this one.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before buying a name brand have you given any thought about building one yourself?
It can be very rewarding and you get the benefit of knowing every part that goes into it.
All the parts can be bought from one of two online stores we suggest that are very reputable and have a great customer service rating.
We have techs who are very good at assisting in the building process and one has actually written a excellent tutorial with steps and pictures to build it.
It's just a suggestion instead of buying something mass produced.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 08:41 PM.

Logikk

Logikk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My friend's have built their own computer and Ive heard horror stories. And well, after the experience I have just had I would rather stick to a brand name. : /

But my Dell is working fine now, thank you so much for all the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I will monitor this topic in case you have any other questions.
Again I am sorry this did not turn out better for you.