Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Internet Explorer Menu

• Please log in to reply

cakers

cakers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me? I've lost my IE tool and menu bars. It happened last night after I installed Internet Explorer 8 and restarted my computer (as recommended). I orginally also lost my IE 7, but did a System Restore (in safe mode) to a restore point that was just prior to installing IE 8.

Thankfully, I got back my IE 7 but minus the tool bar, menu, file, bookmarks, etc. I also can't right click to cut or paste or download anything from the internet (not even OTL) to help me give you a log of what's happening with my system. I have Window XP. I tried to reinstall components from my XP CD, but it stopped when an auu ? file was missing so installation had to cancel..(sorry.. :) .I forgot to make a note of the file name. The only thing I didn't make a note of)

A little history of the past 2 days: After I found out my computer had a worm.win32.netsky. I used AVG & SpywareDoctor and kept getting the dreaded discolored desktop background and warning sign consistant with posts I read on here.
After countless reading of your forums, I followed your advice from the Malworm and Spyware Cleaning Guide.
So, yesterday I downloaded & used: TFC, ERUNT and MBAM (to prevent posting a question/topic on here) and my computer was working fine.

Thinking everything was good, I then Proceeded to install Spyware blaster, Online Armor, and AntiVir. (after I uninstalled my AVG, I decided to try Antivir. My first choice was Avast, but it was very bulky, and slowing my system down so I uninstalled it)

It wasn't until I tried to install the IE 8(last night) that I found my IE 7 couldn't be open no matter how I tried to do it. I couldn't even find it in my system folders. As I stated previously, System Restore was the only way to get back my IE 7 (although now with the problems I'm posting about)

Today, I did a system scan using the Free Version of RegCure (I already had it saved) and it found no malworms, but over 2,000 threats to my Registry. Should I buy RegCure to get rid of the rest?

I would hate to have to re-install my OS system as it was originally installed in Jan 2004, but I fear I may have to if I exhaust all other avenues.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Edited by cakers, 10 January 2010 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Today, I did a system scan using the Free Version of RegCure (I already had it saved) and it found no malworms, but over 2,000 threats to my Registry. Should I buy RegCure to get rid of the rest?

Absolutely not and forget about any registry tools.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

cakers

cakers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Broni

Thanks for responding so fast. I will follow your advice before posting again.

Have a great day! :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
:)