Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screwed up XP: please help!

• Please log in to reply

Ali1234

Ali1234

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi guys,

Right, I will do my best to explain my situation:
About 9 months ago I downgraded from Vista to XP on my new Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. With the great guidence of 'makai' (dunno if he is still around) I managed to install XP, drivers, and fix all the other Bios and Sata stuff that needed to make it work.
However, this morning iTunes started playing up so I restarted my laptop but got a BSOD (stop: c0000218). This apparently is something to do with a registry file failure (I have no idea what in the world caused it). I followed Microsoft's own instructions about solving this using the Recovery Console, but it did not work.
I tried the plan of going into the previous Windows installs via the XP disc, and looking for the option to do a repair, but I could not find it. So I did a fresh install into the E:\ partition of the hard drive, hoping that the files and data left on the C:\ would be left intact.
However once the install finished, it appears that my old 'My Documents' folder is locked and empty (as I had set the folder on my account to be only viewable on my account, which is now inaccessible, as that copy of the OS won't start). When I reboot, I get the option of booting from the old copy of the OS, (which will not start, as 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM), or the newly installed one with not drivers or anything.

So, basically, my question to you guys is;
1. How can I fix my old Windows XP to work again (ie fixing the corrupt or missing file)
2. Should I ditch it and do a fresh install (including formatting and everything) for which I require your help
3. Is there anyway I can rescue my data at all?
(In an ideal world option 1 would be my preference)

I appreciate that I have done something stupid or wrong or reckless at some point, so please don't be too hard on me, but there is a lot of stuff on my harddrive that I need back, plus I am coming into a time where I need my laptop to be working as quickly as possible.
Btw I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP2

Thanks very much for your time guys, and if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, Ali

Advertisements