Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot pop up

• Please log in to reply

Wrenches

Wrenches

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello Everyone

Rorschach112 sent me over to this forum to see if any of you can help me. When ever I reboot my computer I get a pop up that says "The computer must be restarted before updating can continue. Would you like to restart now?"

I have clicked yes and it comes back again and again. It does not interfer with the operation of the computer it is just annoying. Any help with this will be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Wrenches

Wrenches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did this today unchecking one thing at a time and rebooting but it did not change. I can try it the other way and let you know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uncheck everything first. Then boot up.
From there see if the popup is still happening.
If not then what you do is check one thing and then reboot. If no popup then check the next thing. Repeat till you find the entry that is causing the problem.

Wrenches

Wrenches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok I did what you asked and the pop up started when i turned on the adobeupdater in the start up list.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There you go. No need to have it as adobe will tell you when there is a new version. No need to have it check everytime the system is booted up.
Leave it unchecked and everything will be fine.
keep rechecking everything else and make sure nothing else is wrong but in this case I believe the problem has been found.
Also when you are finished the little MSConfig utility window will popup on every startup. Just click the little box that says
Don't show or start this utility on startup and that will stop happening.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 January 2010 - 12:46 PM.