Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

icons on desktop wont load up initially

• Please log in to reply

damddrew

damddrew

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hi folks, on an old compaq machine XP pro sp3, 2.53ghz Celeron 760mb ddr RAM, GE force fx 5200 video card. have gotten advice previously dealing with somewhat the same prob (slowness).
used to be that it'll take forever and a day 2 boot-up ... now is somewhat quicker at booting up, however ... when the icons appear on the desktop, nearly all icons are the misc. file icon ... execpt for a few. they show the actual correct icon.
so of course, i've tried all steps previously mentioned to me ... (defrag w/ auslogics, atf cleaner, mawarebytes, ERUNT, autoruns, done a disk clean-up{compress old files} just to name a few)
before i was told to ditch the registry editors; done hesitantly, but all are gone, except for i believe theres an editor within tuneup utilities(2009).
have gone into the system properties from within the control panel, have set things to run, best for performance.
things i know little about: i had alot (1046mb)of virtual RAM loading (paging file) up @ boot. well now, i had set it lower to just the 759mb of DDR that i do have, but then on the maximum virtual, i set it at 2092, because on the mobo there are 2 dimm slots, i had figured 2 1gig sticks= 2092mb, it lists a reccomended size of 1138mb, currently allocated - 759mb ... ok, ive got more than enuff room on the hdd, to use some as virtual RAM ... but dont really know where this should b set @ (values). still takes some time on the boot, but not as long as b4. im pretty sure my problem lies from within my virtual ram settings. also with dealing w/ virtual ... those settings i mentioned are coming from the c: drive (127gig) however there are 2 other partitions none of that same size, but quite a bit in each (97.6gb & 72.4gb). maybe if i was to move the virtual(paging) of the c: and use it from another .... ? might this help?
(it also lists 37607MB is available to use as a paging file) ... well theres my situation, plz help someone. learn me a thing or 2, when dealing with the paging file. THX to all on G2G!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the paging file (swap file) should be set to 1.5 times the amount of installed ram...

for speeding up your system...
for xp..click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...
for vista ... use the command MSCONFIG in the field Start Search of the Start menu...

turn off indexing...click ...START...MY COMPUTER...right click on the hard drive...properties..uncheck allow indexing and compress drive...then click on OK...when it asks about subfolders say YES...it will take a little while to finish...

go to add/remove programs in the control panel and get rid of anything you don't want or use
get CCLEANER here
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
that's the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
also UNCHECK Old Prefetch data..
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

go to add/remove programs in the control panel and get rid of Adobe reader
this replace's Adobe reader
Foxit Reader is a free utility that includes some tools that Adobe lacks, including a "typewriter" tool that lets you type text over any PDF, and edit any of the text they contain. not just files that have been set with form fields.
Foxit launches very quickly (in about one second) and it requires no installation... It allows you open, view, print, and change the page layout in PDF files. For some functions, such as the typewriter function, FoxIt Reader shows an ad for FoxIt Reader Pro. However, these functions still work with minor limitations.
get foxit reader

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok, ive done like u've said, however .... at boot, the icons still dont want to load up for a good 4 minutes after they initially appear :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
turn off indexing...click ...START...MY COMPUTER...right click on the hard drive...properties uncheck allow indexing and compress drive...then click on OK...when it asks about subfolders say YES...it will take a little while to finish...
after that completes...
click on my computer...right click on the C drive...properties...
get a screenshot and post it for us...
how to post screenshot...go here...
have you defragged the drive recently...

Edited by happyrock, 11 January 2010 - 06:24 PM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:) heres the screen u requested. yes, after doing all the attributing, it frag'd the hdd up pretty badly.
they were all index'd and compress'd. however, this still did not fix the problem.im also going to include an autoruns file, might u be able to take a look at it for me? thx. (minus the microsoft and windows entries) ---- oh yea, didn't u wanna see a file named 'ark.txt'? well here it goes too!

Attached Thumbnails

• prntscrn.JPG

Edited by damddrew, 12 January 2010 - 01:00 AM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
autoruns

Attached Files

Edited by damddrew, 12 January 2010 - 01:06 AM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ark: nevermind, it sez the txt file is too large to post.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I didn't go thru the whole autoruns file ...found this after a short search...askbar.dll...this is malware...so...
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
if your still having problems after they say your clean come back here and let us know and we will continue working on the problem
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

Edited by happyrock, 12 January 2010 - 10:21 AM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok first off, the malwarebytes returned 0 ... i think it found one or 2, the first time it was ran, last week sumtime.
askbar.dll, i didnt delete this file, but i did take it off the autoruns. (malwarebytes didn't even see that one)
-concerning autoruns, there are 2 autoruns exe's in the zip, which am i suppost to use?
i ferget whos posting it was on the bottom of, but i had previously gotten all the software you have reccomended ... the ark.txt file was too big, so i will divide it into smaller txt files to post...
i have been re-running all the software again tho, just for any changes that may have resently occur'd.
ok, well gmer is still scannning, but i will post the results ASAP.
thanks for the help so far.... drew

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What antivirus do you have on your computer? If you have one that scan the RAM during bootup then this can explain part or all of the problem. Actually it's not a problem at all. On the contrary, it's a very good feature but it slows down the boot process, especially on older computers.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can't post malware logs in this forum...they can only go in the malware forum here
try this...go to the add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall anything that has askbar in the name......

Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ...right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings..tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change..then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again
next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

Edited by happyrock, 13 January 2010 - 11:29 AM.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok, havent done the lasted u had said yet ... however, after that gmer.exe ran for approx 5 hours, i come back to check on it, and it was a blue screen. the following text was displayed,
STOP: c000021a
{Fatal System Error}
The Windows Subsystem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005
0x00160fd4 0x0053e064)
system has been shut down.

i rebooted, it was still the same ... slow at icon loading. now to start the stuff ur talk'n about. and hey .... dont think i dont appreciate the help man. thx a [bleep] ova lot. donation planned. :)

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i turned the scan @ startup feature off on my mcafee anti virus. i noticed mcafee has an option for anti spyware ... thats turned on ... i've also got spyware doctor turned on ... might those collide? nothing noticeable.

ok, heres the ark.txt, in 2 posts

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark1.txt   334.77KB   145 downloads

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
second part of the ark.txt

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark2.txt   266.23KB   134 downloads

Rorschach112