Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Is This File?

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
In an effort to get rid of 'junk' or unnecessary files on my computer to gain space, I have come across something during a scan that I don't know if I can safely delete it or not, as I don't know what it is. I have googled it but can't seem to find anything about it. Here's the information on it. Firstly, it is taking up 165mb. And it is a 'BIN' file. It is located at: C:\Windows\winsxs\ManifestCache. Under 'name' there are a string of numbers: 6.0.6001.18000_001c... I guess I want to know what 'manifest cache' means and the purpose for it, and the relatively large amount of space it is taking up. Would you recommend I leave it alone or can I safely delete it?

(I use Vista Ultimate)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://blogs.msdn.co...-blobs-bin.aspx

"What is the c:\windows\winsxs\manifestcache\6.0.6001.18000_001c50b5_blobs.bin file and why is it taking up 156Mb on my hard drive? Do I really need a file this big?"

That file is used by the Windows Update mechanisms in Vista. It acts like a cache and is capped at a certain size, but it's safe to delete. The next time you turn on or off Windows optional features or take updates from Windows Update it'll reappear. The file will be recreated as necessary to help the servicing system do its work. Maybe in the future it'll be added to the disk-cleaup wizard, but it noticably increases the performance of servicing operations while it's there.

Of course, actually deleting the file is left as an excercise to the reader.