Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check cable Operating system not found

• Please log in to reply

mato43

mato43

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello everyone i got a Gateway laptop model MX6421 it has not been turn on for a while and yesterday afternoon i turn it on it was loading up a Microsoft window 98. At first it use to load up window xp i had some work done on it not so sure of what the guy did on it. and i try to upload an Operating system disc for window xp it give me the option to type 'R' for recovery on it did it says "Starting Recovery" and the screen goes dark. so i was playing with it and i finally hit the f12 button and this message came up PXE-E61:Media Text failure,check cable & PXE- MOF: Exiting PXE ROM. finally it says Operating System not found.

help plz help not trying to spend no money on this laptop cuz of this economies so Help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Your laptop is basicly trying to tell you that the operating system is non-existent. If you had anything on the machine of any importance, it's very likely to be gone at this point.

I would recommend a fresh install of Windows XP using your CD.

Hope this helps,

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have try that once i put the window xp cd in start normal and once it come up to start the recovery the screen goes black (the laptop didn't shutdown) the screen just go black

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You will want to perform a Clean install of Windows XP.

Click here and slide down till you see "Steps to Clean Install XP". Follow the step-by-step instructions and you will have a nice clean install of Windows Xp on your system.

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
no it's not working once i get to step 3 on the list it give me this TrAP 00000006 ============EXCEPTION=========== tr=0028 cr0=80000011 cr2=00000000 what does this thing mean???

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
mato43,

From what I can find this looks like a Processor trap possibly from overheating. Try cleaning the cpu fan and heatsink with some compressed air ( a can of air will work ) and see what kind of dust and hair and whatever else you get out of the machine. This may allow your machine to boot up and run for much longer if not even take care of your problem.

It is possible.... that the processor has overheated and no matter how much cooling you apply, it will still exhibit this error.

You may also want to start with a Memory Test. Before running this test make sure you try reseating your memory in your motherboard.

Go to Memtest.org and download the precompiled iso in zip format.

Burn the iso image ( once unzipped ) to a CD. Reboot your computer with this CD in the drive and boot from the CD. You will see a screen similar to:

Posted Image

Let memtest run a full and complete test on your memory.

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
am so confused which of the Memtest86+ version should i download because i download the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) under the Memtest86+v2.10 i could open it because my computer didn't recognized the ISO file. plz be more specific thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe this will be easier.

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i install everything it said on that list when i go to write the file into the blank cd is says "failed to set write parameters! Reason: invalid Field in Parameter list" what does that mean

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you download and then click the zip file to unzip it?

Did you use the program suggested to burn the file?

Advertisements

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No i didn't unzip the zip file because it's not giving me the option to unzip the file...are u talking about imgburn or is there an other program to burn the file

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well I see the problem now and I will try to help you.
When you downloaded the file you would have to click or double click on it to start the unzip.
Do you have something like winzip, winrar, gzip, or 7zip to unzip files? If not let me know and I will help you find one.
Second the image burn software will only work with a ISO file.

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
no i don't have any of those thing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
7zip

mato43

mato43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
should i download .ese type or .msi type or it doesn't matter

Edited by mato43, 12 January 2010 - 11:27 PM.