Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy disk issue xp to 98

• Please log in to reply

phat al

phat al

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to make a floppy disk from XP pro system be seen in win 98se system.
As I understand ntfs and dos are very different.
Are there some files needed to be added to the formatted xp floppy to be read by 98 so it wont ask to format the disk?

Im trying to fix my mums pc (win 98) and I have xp pro, all my floppy disk wont work.

Ps the a drive works and the floppy’s work too.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes they are, but windows xp does not format floppies as ntfs so a floppy formatted and used in xp is visible in windows 98.

If your mum's pc cannot see a floppy from your windows xp, it is likely due to a dirty floppy drive (they need to be cleaned every once in a while), or a floppy drive being out of allignment

Given that you likely have a cd burner, why not burn to a cd, instead of floppy.

What's wrong with your mum's pc?

phat al

phat al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I guess I had a brain fart lol ………………………….

The floppy started to work after I wrote the post, I was half thinking about boot files and lan drivers. Too much bart boot cd in my head.

My mums system has spyware and Trojan infections, I warned her to stop dad from [bleep] surfing lol.
I have fixed the infectionon her system.
I needed to load drivers for my USB key in win 98 only it needs floppy to get them on as im not infecting my network with a known infected trojan system.lol.
I couldn’t be bothered to burn a CD as I find I have to update the tools so often it’s better to work from my key.
Thanks for getting back to me and clearing that up