Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot get overtype mode to work

• Please log in to reply

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I cannot get overtype to work. I changed it under Editing Options, but no luck. There is another option to check under "Use the insert key to control overtype mode" which says "Use overtype mode" but it is grayed out on my computer...and I can't access it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am using a Logitech keyboard which has the insert/print screen key above the Delete key.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

I am using a Logitech keyboard which has the insert/print screen key above the Delete key.

does that mean that insert and print screen are written on the same key? if so is one in white and the other in another color? if the insert is the bit that's in another color than the rest of your keys, then you should have an FN (function) key on your keyboard (usually near ctrl or alt and it should be the same color as the alternate color text on the keys on your keyboard)..press that fn key at the same time as the print screen/insert key

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I am using a Logitech keyboard which has the insert/print screen key above the Delete key.

does that mean that insert and print screen are written on the same key? if so is one in white and the other in another color? if the insert is the bit that's in another color than the rest of your keys, then you should have an FN (function) key on your keyboard (usually near ctrl or alt and it should be the same color as the alternate color text on the keys on your keyboard)..press that fn key at the same time as the print screen/insert key

Thanks for replying. All keys on my keyboard are white. The key looks like this:

Insert
_______
Print
Screen

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you know the model of your keyboard? should be on a sticker on the bottom of it

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

do you know the model of your keyboard? should be on a sticker on the bottom of it

Yes, it is a Elite Keyboard LE - Model #: YSAB59

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried pressing shift + insert or alt + insert?

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Yes, it is a Elite Keyboard LE - Model #: YSAB59

OKAY - figured it out after pressing various keys....The F-Lock Key was on....I feel like a dummy! Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....don't feel too dumb, keyboards are getting more and more complex these days. there are all kinds of buttons that do lord knows what on them