Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Manager & Internet tray icons disappeared

• Please log in to reply

beruboshi

beruboshi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Recently, and for no reason I can work out, the tray icons for the sound manager, and the little internet icon with the two computers and the world, no longer appear in the bottom right hand corner of Vista. Both the sound card and the internet still work as they did before, but their icons simply don't appear. I've reset the computer a number of times, with no success. Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If there is a little arrow-head on the left end of the tray, that means there are some 'hidden' icons. Click on that arrow-head and they should come into view.

To prevent any tray icons being hidden in future, do this:

1. Right-click the 'Start' orb and choose 'Properties'

2. Click the 'Notification Area' tab

3. Untick 'Hide inactive icons'

4. Click 'OK' to save the new setting.

You should now see that the little arrow-head for accessing hidden icons is no longer there, and all the tray icons should be permanently displayed.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 11 January 2010 - 02:40 PM.

beruboshi

beruboshi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cheers, thanks for the tip. But when I say disappeared, I mean entirely gone. They're not hidden in the tray, they're just not in the tray at all.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi beruboshi welcome to GTG! :)

Try the "Fix It" download from Microsoft on this page to see if it solves the problem for you.