Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any Registry Clear Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sorry it has taken me a week to get to this step. I have been fighting more frequent freezes and haven't wanted to attempt anything else while we needed the computer to complete some college applications.

OK, so I unchecked everything, installed a new video card, to see if that is the cause of the freezing issue, restarted the computer.

1. Mouse did not work, fortunately I had a USB wireless mouse handy, so solved that problem for now. Got the display settings back to normal, opened msconfig and found EVERYTHING in Startup is checked. Guess I just clicked OK instead of Apply. Unchecked everything again, clicked Apply, restarted computer, now both mice work and the only item in Startup checked is:

NvCpl RUNDLL 32.EXE C:\windows\System32\NvCpl.dll.NvStartup

Haven't run the computer long enough to see if the freezing issue is still around.

Tried to attach a screen print of what was checked before, but GTG wouldn't allow that type of file (Windows with an imbedded picture)

In brief, what was checked:

RunDLL
ccApp Symantec Shared
A blank line
cli ATI.ACE
ISUSPM ISUSPM.exe-startup
KHALMNPR KHALMNPR.EXE
Logi_MwX Logi_MwX.Exe
osCheck Norton System Works\osCheck.exe
dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
qttsk QuickTime\qttsk.exe" -atboottime
Logitech SetPoint SetPoint.exe

Do I need to have all the items checked in Startup anyway. I am kind of unschooled on that part.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
cli ATI.ACE this is part of the ATI Catalyst video program

ccApp Symantec Shared s the Common Client Application portion of Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for checking emails and implementing auto-protect facilities as part of the Norton Antivirus suite.

a blank line leave unchecked

ISUSPM ISUSPM.exe-startup is not needed and can remain unchecked

KHALMNPR KHALMNPR.EXE part of the logitech mouse

Logi_MwX Logi_MwX.Exe part of the logitech mouse

dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k contains recent memory dump information

qttsk QuickTime\qttsk.exe" -atboottime anytime you watch a quicktime file this appears

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 January 2010 - 05:12 PM.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Success at last.

Windows and Firefox are loading much better and the freezing issue was likely caused by a bad video card. I replaced the card on Saturday and have not had a freeze requiring re-boot since. A

After turning off nearly everything in Startup, things load much faster.

Last step is to remove all old games, do a TFC, Scan, Defragment and stay n top of things!

Thanks so much for all the help rshaffer61!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and I am happy to see you have corrected the issue. :) Thank you for being so patient through all this.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and a even bigger thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for your help.
Please come back again if you need any further assistance or questions. :) :) ;) :)