Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Graphics in games go haywire then I get BSOD

• Please log in to reply

slain4ever

slain4ever

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys I really hope you can help me.

I've been playing Counter Strike Source (in windowed mode so I can do stuff on my other monitor) and after a little while the game freezes for a second then continues but the graphics have been all screwed up and there are random pictures everywhere. It happens in more then just counter strike. Pretty much everytime this happens if I continue to play I will get the blue screen, even if i quickly get out of the game I sometimes get the blue screen.

I've managed to get some screenshots using fraps.
and I have that bluescreen viewer info i've seen you guys asking for.
Attached File  BSOD.txt   38.47KB   627 downloads

I mean why the [bleep] is there a battery and a huge oversized gun in the background???
hl2_2010_01_11_17_23_44_43.jpg
hl2_2009_12_16_21_45_03_40.jpg
sometimes the text goes all insane as well
hl2_2009_12_15_16_52_26_35.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• hl2_2009_12_26_14_48_44_46.jpg

Edited by slain4ever, 11 January 2010 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Heres one from dragon age
DAOrigins_2009_12_16_14_27_22_57.jpg

look theres a random face in this one lol
hl2_2009_12_08_11_27_14_28.jpg

i got plenty more shots if you need them

thanks in advance for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I already uploaded the Bluescreen viewer info and here is the who crashed one: Attached File  WhoCrashed.txt   10.82KB   510 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BSOD viewer log was not readable. WhoCrashed shows all problems are related to your video card driver.
Since it is a Nvidia chipset try this.

Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a program called ntune which allows you to change the fan speed, it doesn't seem to matter very much it crashes whether I increase it or not. I probably get about 65C when playing counter strike but other games get to 80+ so I'll try messing with the drivers. Unfortunately I won't be able to do it today but thanks for the advice and I will get right on it tomorrow.

I just played css again and kept track of the temp, when the graphics went haywire temp was about 61, but it didnt crash i continued to play for a bit then closed it, still no crash but still very annoying.

Edited by slain4ever, 11 January 2010 - 08:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and let us know how everything works once drivers are updated.

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
[bleep] it!

i did you everything you said then after play css for a coupla hours the graphics went haywire again, i continued to play and they went again but differently. I closed the game then got bak into it but it went crazy almost straight away. then everything froze and I had to hold the power button to turn it off.

:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand you are frustrated but please understand this is a family oriented site so the language has to be kept to a minimum.
Now will you try the steps I outlined before except for the fan part?

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 January 2010 - 07:21 PM.

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
[bleep] is in the dictionary and in the bible

+ it "bleeps" it out

Edited by slain4ever, 14 January 2010 - 08:58 PM.

Advertisements

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
it still crashes with the fan higher but i would guess that it does take longer for it to crash.

PS. a friend has also suggested that i could get problems because of low power supplied by the psu?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Slain4ever,

I understand you're frustrated, but rshaffer is absolutely correct. This is a family-friendly site, accessible to anyone over the age of 13. I don't care where your words are found, when you're asked by a member of the staff to respect the rules of the site, please do so. Thanks, and good luck - you're in good hands with rshaffer.

Edited by sari, 14 January 2010 - 07:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wattage fluctuations could be a cause and also a faulty video chip an\or memory.
Also overheating on the video card. Please do the following.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

slain4ever

slain4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok i took this screen of speedfan and CPUID HW monitor. Note: the fan is running at 100% and I played modern warfare 2 for 5 minutes before closing it then taking the screen.

heat.jpg

is it just me or is 74C a little hot for only 5 minutes of playing (albeit at max quality and resolution)

Edited by slain4ever, 14 January 2010 - 09:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it should be no higher then about 65 to 67.