Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Paging File / Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
My HP Pavilion 6730 computer has 256 Meg of RAM.
It has a 10 Gig Hard Drive. I guess I average around 3.7 Gig Free Space.

When I was originally given this computer almost a year ago, the Paging File was set to a specific amount. I kept getting several of those "Virtual Memory Low" warnings daily. I then read somewhere that those could be minimized by setting the Paging File to System Managed. I did. It IS better.

I have attached a Screen Capture of what my Paging File is set at.
Is it optimally set as is with those particular numbers and System Managed?
Or is it actually possible that it could be set off of System Managed and back to some specific higher number and have it be more efficient?

Attached Thumbnails

• HP_Pavilion_Virtual_Memory.jpg

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
According to your screenshot, you don't have page file set, but it's "system managed size" (Windows manages it).
There is nothing wrong with it, but what you really need is more RAM.
You have only 256MB.
XP will run much better with at least 512MB (1GB would be the best).

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, Broni! :) I was aware that it was set to System Managed. I just didn't know whether it was possible to change it from that and go back to setting a Custom Size HIGHER than the 381 MBytes that is on there. I had read that I guess that number was really supposed to be set at 1 and a half times your RAM size. I kept wondering if it was possible to set that number at higher than the 1 and a half times RAM size.

Like what if instead of having the Paging File set to System Managed, I were to set a Custom Size of say ... 512 or 640 Meg? Would Windows acknowledge the Setting? And would this even work better than System Managed? Or would this totally NOT be a good idea at all?

As far as more RAM? There's been conflicting Info regarding the Max RAM for this computer. The site I had originally Googled said my computer was already Maxed out at 256 Meg. Yet someone here at Geeks to Go found different Info saying 512 Meg was possible. :::Shrug:::

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1.5 times RAM for virtual memory is rather optimal number.
Setting it higher won't bring you any gains. It'll only eat up bigger chunk of your hard drive, which is not to big in your case.

As for how much RAM you can get on your computer, go here: http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for taking the time to look into my inquiry, Broni! :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
According to Crucial, you can have up to 512MB of RAM (2x256), but Crucial doesn't have it.
It's pretty rare case and from my experience, even if you find it somewhere else, it'll probably cost more, than the computer value.