Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stealth S80 ATI Radeon 9200SE NEED STAFF HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Mangy87

Mangy87

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me solve my problem that i am currently having with my video card. Obviously from the topic I have a Stealth S80 ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI vid card. I have had the card for over 2 months now, without being able to install it. I have an integrated intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller installed on this piece of crap computer.

Problem:
-Placed video card into 1st PCI slot (when computer was off)
-Turned computer on-did not recognize any new hardware...
-Attempted to use the install CD for the stealth driver and got "SETUP was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software config. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software".

-I have tried a lot of ideas, ranging from disabling the onboard video card in the hardware device manager to just screwing around and placing the video card in the computer when its on (yes....on.....stupid thing to do)....and obviously nothing has worked.

So can somebody please help me with my little problem :tazz:

Thanks alot
-Aaron

Edited by Mangy87, 17 May 2005 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You most likely already tried this but I have to ask, did you try another pci slot?
I assume because you are using a pci card this is a older computer but if not some newer bios have a option to disable unused pci slots and this option should be turned to enable when installing a new card. Check and see if your bios has this option but I doubt it.

If so it must be a bad card.

Rick

Mangy87

Mangy87

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've tried all three slots :tazz: , thanks for thinking of that though. This computer is actually only 6 months old...my dad ordered a new computer not knowing what the heak he was doing and customized this computer without an AGP slot....(go figure). Our old...old computer even has an AGP slot, thats a whole nother story now b/c that one just stopped working out of the blue. Computers at my house are just breaking left and right lol. Thanks though.

-Aaron

Mangy87

Mangy87

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
bump

Mangy87

Mangy87

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yet another bump....i want this to be resolved as soon as possible. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree with Doby, if it's not being detected by windows in any of the pci slots, then it sounds like a bad card. Whats more, even if the card was working to start with, after you inserted it whilst the system was powered up, chances are it won't be working any more.

You could try installing it in another machine but this might be risky if the card was damaged when you inserted it in powered up system.

tdizzle23

tdizzle23

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a problem that sounded just like this. It was a matrox millenium card. I'm pretty sure it was static electricity that damaged it or something of that sort. Just see if any of the pins are bent or broken and the seating is nice and firm. Otherwise i agree its a bad card.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Samm & Doby probably nailed this and yes, unfortunately it sounds like your card might have seen better days. As was suggested, you might want to try it in another machine before you deep six it.

Other last ditch thinking - with your problem card out of the case, reset your graphics adapter manually to VGA and reboot. We know it just got real ugly. Use this tool, Driver Cleaner Professional and remove any and all vestiges of old video driver installs gone awry. Reboot and head into your BIOS, disable onboard video again, enable PCI/VGA pallette snoop and dedicate an IRQ solely to PCI slot one or VGA controller however you must do it in the BIOS of that particular board. Power down completely and install your card in PCI slot one with nothing in slot two. Power back up and try manually installing the device using the add new hardware wizard (not auto detect but manual).

If no go - well, at least you gave it a whirl.

Regards,
:tazz:

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

head into your BIOS, disable onboard video again, enable PCI/VGA pallette snoop and dedicate an IRQ solely to PCI slot one or VGA controller

couldnt have said it better myself. sounds like the BIOS is set to agp graphics feed instead of pci.

Nixx

Mangy87

Mangy87

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you guys, I will give your ideas a whirl. I will post again if i cannot get the card installed, once again thanks alot. :tazz: