Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whats a good laptop for....

• Please log in to reply

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok my brother is looking for a laptop, he will use it for games and some music. what computers are best? and what should we look for in it? i dont know much about CPU but i know that really good CPU frequency is needed for good performance, expeciouly if your usgin it for games. whats the recamended RAM, CPU, and hard drive memory you recamend for games? and well....i fell stupid, i know alot abotu computers, but not when it comes to hard drive stuff, so...whats "intel"? and whats the best version to geT? i think it has to do with the visual, but im more of a software guy....sorry if i sound stupid.

if you have links or anyhting to help me learn, or that has good computers....let me know

and my brothers dad is in the NG and he gets a discount of Dell...i dont think that Dell is good unless your looking for a "pretty computer" and well....my brothers not. but if you know a good Dell computer for games, music, and that can hols a little bit of sofware lol, can you give me a model name and everything?

thanks for the help, and sorry if i sound stupid.

=)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If your brother wants something for games with the least amount of hassle, a PC or laptop is not the way to go. he needs a game console on which a game will work right out of the box. With a PC or laptop you often come up against all sorts of technical issues to get a modern game to run properly.

And especially with a laptop, if one of it's components (eg the graphics chip) is not powerful enough for a particular game you are well and truly snookered because you can't upgrade it. Laptops are far from ideal for that purpose.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 January 2010 - 07:32 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First laptops normally do not make good gaming systems. They just don't have the graphics capability to play the higher end games correctly.
The laptop realistically is a working system with mobile capabilities.
If your brother wants a gaming based pc then I would suggest a desktop unit.
Now there are literally hundreds of places to buy one but I prefer to build my own.
The benefit is you know exactly what components are in the system and how it all goes together.
Some good online retailers we suggest and most of us use are
TigerDirect and NeweEgg.
If you can provide a budget we may be able to help you with building your own.
BTW there is a great How To Build tutorial here on GTG written by one of our own Tech Staff members located HERE.
If you are definitely wanting a laptop again what is your budget and we will try to assist in what to get.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
well... im not really sure of the budget, but i think it will be $400...its not alot but its all my brother can get, and [bleep] get like $100 off if he gets a Dell.

the build it yourself thing would be awesome...but he cant do that (hes 13, and not that good with computers) and i have other things to do =(, but i might do that when i turn 18 and need another computer.

laptops are better because we end up going to alot of different peoples house who have better internet than us lol. (legal, its their internet)

if you know of a laptop that would at least be good with online games, and its $400 - $500 ($500 if its dell). than please let me know, if you recamend a certin brand than i will check that out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How about this one HERE
Refurbished but TigerDirect is really good on warranties and you can always contact them and ask exactly what the warranty is and covers.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 January 2010 - 10:52 AM.