Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Java run games & chat rooms flashing in browser

• Please log in to reply

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Since reformatting XP Pro, I am unable to play Sun Java based games or view our chat room (also run with Sun Java). The window puts on quite a show of flashing movement with odd shapes so the games or chat rooms aren't viewable. I have the latest version of Sun Java and have gone through all troubleshooting tips on the game site I frequent to no avail. My video display drivers have been updated. Would anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!

Edited by CanuckLynn, 12 January 2010 - 08:48 AM.

Advertisements

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Am I on the wrong thread or the wrong forum to have my question addressed :) ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

What about flash player updated?
Have you checked in browser also to make sure animations is enabled and allowed?
How about if Java is enabled also?

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank-you for your response and advice!

I've run JavaRa with good results.
I have the latest version of the Flash Player, & animations & Java are enabled.

The problem is still occurring. Here is a screen shot of what I see in a game room, although being a still image, you don't see it moving all over the window!

screenshot.gif

Thanks for any help you can be rshaffer. Muchly appreciated!

Edited by CanuckLynn, 13 January 2010 - 11:07 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask have you tried it on another system running XP Pro?
I can't try the game as the site is a paid site. I see it has a 14 day free trial period but it would be easier to do some alternative testing.
Is your system anamed brand system and if so what is the model name and number?
If custom built do you know what video is in the system?
Is it onboard or is it a actual add on card?
I'm looking at the drivers for the card as being a possible issue. They may be out of dat and the reinstall of XP has now caused the issue.
Here's a though I just had, After reinstalling Xp did you go through Microsoft's Window Update and get all the Critical and Optional updates for your system?
There may be a newer driver for your video card in that group of updates.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 11:30 AM.

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've been able to access the game room on my laptop.
My system is ASUSTeK and was custom built.
I pulled up a profile of my computer and there are 2 video cards showing? One is RADEON 9600 PRO Family & the other is RADEON 9600 PRO SEC Family. The card is not on-board and is separate.
Right after my reformat, I installed my anti-virus first and then off to MS for hours of updates! So yes! All critical updates have been done and are done on a continuing basis.
I have a program called 'Driver Robot' which should have updated all necessary drivers, but it is a bit confusing sometimes as it doesn't always put the drivers in the system folder. Could this be the problem and how do I go about fixing it if it is? Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The best ideal is to always get your drivers from the manufacturer of the device. In your case this would be who makes the Radeon card ATI.
Go HERE and get the driver with the version number of 9.11 and dated for 11/16/2009
This looks to be the newest driver from ATI and AMD.
Let me know if this helps out.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 January 2010 - 12:16 PM.

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks rshaffer! I know have the latest drivers however it didn't fix the problem. It's odd how everything else appears to be working well, except for the Java based applications.

On the 'Advanced' tab for Internet options, there is a tick under Java (Sun) to use JRE 1.60_17. Under this it says Microsoft VM, with no tick for 'Java Console enabled', no tick for Java Logging enabled, and ticked for 'JIT compliler for virtual machine...etc. Is this correct?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe it is correct but don't quote me on that one. Been awhile since I've used my Windows partition.
Is there a entry for animations and if so is there a tick in it?

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes there is an entry and it's checked. Any more ideas? (fingers crossed!)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes there is an entry and it's checked. Any more ideas? (fingers crossed!)

I'm digging in my bag of tricks. :)

Which browser are you using and what version is it?

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm using IE 7

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might want to try updating to IE7.
The other option is to try FireFox and see if the problem happens with it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just found out Java just had a new release.
You may try the steps in post 3 again if yours didn't already update to the update 18

CanuckLynn

CanuckLynn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ay yi yi! Decided to check into the update for Java and ended up checking their help files there. Now, not only is the applet not working in games and the chat room but take a gander at this! If you don't know what it is...it's the Java area of the Control Panel! Nuts!

screenshot2.gif

I didn't want to download FF but I guess I'll give it a go and let you know what happens! Dagnabitanyhow!

Work a day shift Thursday..will get back on here asap!

Edited by CanuckLynn, 13 January 2010 - 10:11 PM.