Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows help

• Please log in to reply

bummedout

bummedout

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, i needed any suggestions if anyone had about my problem. im running windows XP and recently its just been shutting down on its own. first i used to get the blue screen of death, but now right after windows XP loads, i hear a cluck inside the CPU, and it shuts it self down on its own and the start up light keeps flashing ever couple of seconds or so. it does not restart after all that happens
if anyone can tell me what the problem is and if you have any suggestions.
thx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if it happens there?
It sounds like a possible PSU problem.

bummedout

bummedout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i tried restarting into safemode, but it still makes that same noise and shuts down by it self. btw, can u explain what PSU might be, im not a very computer savvy person

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU is the
Power
Supply
Unit

It sounds like your power supply is shorting out is what you are describing. By chance do you have a spare to swap out and test with?

bummedout

bummedout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh thx,
a question,
Would it matter if i keep the computer on while without loading windows to test out my PSU?? or is there another way i can check my PSU because i have just recently in the past 4 months bought that PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't understand your question. According to you the pop happens when you turn the system on and before it gets to windows. We can try booting to the Recovery Console and let the system sit there.
Do you have a Win XP cd?

bummedout

bummedout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes i do have a Win XP CD, but when i try putting that in to try reinstalling windows, it also shuts down the PC same way as before

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you let the system sit for a while and then start it up does it shut down immediately then?
Doing so would indicate a PSU problem or a Motherboard problem.
If this is a desktop can you open it up and try turning the system on. Can you hear where the click is coming from?
Do you know the make and model of your PSU?
What is the total wattage it supplies?
You said it is a 4 months old so there should still be a warranty on it depending on where you bought it from.

bummedout

bummedout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i let it sit and it still shuts down on its own
i tried listening, but cant pinpoint where the noise is coming from, ill keep trying and post it if i figure it out
i got this PC made by someone who bought a bunch of parts and put it all together, but ill try figuring out the make and model by asking him, and same thing with the wattage and the warrenty

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the information and i will wait for your return.
It is important we find that noise. I think what you are hearing is the PSU shorting out.