Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Cards - Which to buy?

• Please log in to reply

Gasherbrum

Gasherbrum

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys I’m currently in the process of building a computer and I’ve ran into some questions. I’m doing some research looking for a video card to get and to do that I was reading through a couple of magazines. I’ve had the ATI Radeon 5770 in mind but I was reading a review about it and the author who was plotting the HD 5770 against the GTX 260 kept on mentioning how the 260 did have more power and performed slightly better in most games. Then in the conclusion the author stated: “The HD 5770 did manage to play most of our games at 1,920 x 1,200 though, which shows that it’s not a total waste of money.” In the next article which was comparing the Sapphire HD 5750 1GB against the previous cards, the author stated at the end: “If you need an upgrade and have only 110 Euro to spend, a GTX 260 (rev 2) is the best option.”

Alright so… This is extremely confusing to me because I cannot find a GTX 260 for 160$ which is equivalent to 110 Euros is right?

Anyway, I really can’t spend any more than 160 – 170$ on the video card for this build and I’d really like to get the most bang for the buck. I have in mind lots of Modern Warfare 2. I would like to see it run MW2 at full settings at either 720p or 1080p resolution while running fraps with 60 fps.

Another question, what does the (rev 2) part of the GTX 260 name mean? I've never seen it before.

That's about it for now, if you know anything about this or have any answers I would love to hear what you have to say, thanks in advance

Oh and do ATI Radeon cards have Digital Vibrance options like nVidia cards do?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate and welcome,

I usually always check out Tom's Hardware Graphics for graphics cards, they do pretty good testing and have a huge hierarchical chart on the back page which shows the performance comparisons. Check out the latest one here.

Never heard of "Digital Vibrance" but it seems like there are options in the CCC to help achieve similar results, look here for a thread I found on it.

Troy

Gasherbrum

Gasherbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the fast reply Troy, you answered my Digital Vibrance question and that's a pretty good link there for Tom's Hardware, I was wondering though if anyone reading this has personal experience with these GPUs.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The "rev 2" probably refers to the 55nm GTX 260 with 216 processing cores. I have that video card; I purchased it over the summer for $114. Unfortunately, it does seem to be more expensive now. However, it's a great card, and it easily runs COD:MW2 maxed out at 1920x1080 (1080p).

Gasherbrum

Gasherbrum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Stetty that's an amazing price to have bought that at lol. They're 230$ now! Way out of my current budget :)

Ah well.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Tell me about it, I had 2 8800GTS 512MB cards in SLI already, which perform just about on par with the GTX 260, but I couldn't pass it up at that price.

The best deal I'm seeing now is directly from pny.com. You can add the GTX 260 Core 216 to your cart, and then apply the code SONY10 to get 10% off, bringing the total to $162. You also get two free movie downloads. It's a pretty good deal I think; it's definitely better than $230. :)

Edited by stettybet0, 19 January 2010 - 09:23 PM.