Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Space Question

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have a 120gb hard drive, but when I check the computer space usage pie chart it says ....of 106. Where did that 14gb of hard drive space go? Is this normal? Why doesn't it say 120, if I have a 120gb hard drive in my machine? This is probably an easy question to answer.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Some computer manufacturers put a hidden partition on the C drive (this is especially true of laptops) on which the factory recovery data is installed. That partition doesn't have a drive letter so it's not visible.

The total size of the C drive is what's left when you subtract the hidden partition. The size of the hidden partition could easily be 14GB for Windows Vista as it will include all the factory-installed applications as well (for example, Microsoft Works, Trial of Microsoft Office, DVD-Player software, etc. etc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually that does not seem to be the issue.
When you get a hard drive the manufacturers way of stating the total capacity is different then what you believe it to be.
Take a look at this article HERE and maybe it will make more sense for you.
Also take a look at Wikipedia explanation HERE

I hope this explains it better for you.